Monday, December 3, 2007

meal time at the zoo

I have fallen into a not so great habit while hubby is away. I live just a small step above a frat boy. Dash-1 and Dash-2 don't really eat "people" food, well I take that back, Dash-1 doesn't, Dash-2 eats whatever trots by slow enough. Dash-1 is a very picky eater, made more complicated by several food allergies and Dash-2 only has a handful of teeth so while he'd be content to mash on anything I fix him things that he can gum well. I've taken to fixing dinner for the boys and doing an interesting dance of sitting with them and hopping up and down to get things done here and there. (It's much easier to get things done with one in a highchair and one strapped into a booster seat!) And then I eat on my own later enjoying my tasty frozen dinner in the peace and quiet of the house.

So most nights it leaves me to find something to eat on my own. Here's where the lean cuisines come in. They are a life saver and not so bad either. But lately as hubby is flying around more and more and is home less and less, the real meals are few and far between. Until tonight. Tonight I mad a real meal. Steak, mashed potatoes, peas and carrots. YUM. Dash-1 helped make the potatoes (although he wouldn't eat them) and then the boys and I sat down to a lovely dinner. (They had hot dogs, peas and carrots yummo) The conversation was good, Dash-1 proceeded to ask how my day was no less then 20 times and told me about his trip to the grocery store (we didn't go to the grocery store).

But something was still missing. I miss hubby at dinner time the most. Every night when he is home we eat as a family. Its the highlight of my day. Despite Dash-1 whining about not wanting to eat and not liking anything mommy touches (take a number kiddo) and Dash-2 being loud (he's fully into the loud stage) its the time of day that we sit down as a family and hubby and I get to talk and enjoy being just the four of us. There is something very lonely about when its the three of us. But at least the meal was good and it wasn't from the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. "Did I choose you? Did you choose me? And what difference does it make? All that really matters, friend is that we chose each other". -Lois Wyse

    "Never shall I forget the time I spent with you. Please continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours."-Beethoven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like our dinners over here! Except my girls are older but no better!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.