Tuesday, December 4, 2007

huh?!

Civilian moms say the darnedest things. The one that I seem to keep hearing that makes me scratch my head every time is regarding hubby and having to work. I cant tell you the number of times I have heard "You mean he has to work when he isn't flying?". I typically just look at people with a dumbfounded look on my face when they say this. OF COURSE HE WORKS!?! And he works LONG days. He's out of the house by 6:30 (we only live 20 mins from work) and maybe home by 5-5:30. That's a long day in my book.

First I guess I should explain that our lives are a little different then most others in the military. Hubby isn't gone for 6 solid months at a time, although this summer it was pretty darn close, some trips are 2 1/2 months, some are 4 days. He is constantly coming and going. Home for 5 days, gone for 10, home again for a week, gone for 3 days, and so on and so forth. I've really considered putting a revolving door in our house to make it easier. All told since Feb of this year he's been away for about seven and a half months. I'm sure there are some out there that think this sounds way better then being gone for a chunk of time. I'm not so sure, maybe its the grass is greener syndrome but lately its getting harder on the boys and I, the constant coming and going. We get into a nice routine and then hubby comes home and tries to fit himself back in and then in no time is gone again. Its made potty training a nightmare!

But I drift from my original rant. So I guess the civilian moms in my playgroup assumed that when hubby isn't flying he's sitting at home drinking margaritas. One mom actually said "Oh its nice that you get to spend all that time with him" (a tad of a snotty tone too). Man that's a twisted view of the military. I tried to explain to them that while flying is his job, so is sitting in an office and dealing with everyday bullshit. Uncle Sam doesn't pay him to look pretty after all. I've thought about carrying around a fact sheet on the military to hand out at the park to keep this from happening. When I told it to hubby he just laughed. In fact he keeps laughing about it.

2 comments:

  1. Clueless, aren't they? But I know what you mean about that revolving door. We did the geo. bachelor thing in Korea where Stretch only came home on the weekends. It was like weekly mini-deployments. And it was horrible. And, yes, I said the same thing as you: Maybe this would be easier if he was just gone for a long chunk of time instead of this coming and going stuff. But you know what? It's hard either way, just in different ways. Sarah at SpouseBuzz put it best: each deployment (separation) is like a snowflake, individual and unique.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.