Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The worry apparently knows no borders

My husband been to war a couple times, been exposed to goodness knows what and even when he wasn't in a war zone he's had to stay in "fortified" hotels. I get it. Danger comes with his job.

But I had a bit of an ah ha moment the other day.

Or maybe the brain connections that have been affected by pregnancy hormones finally snapped back into place. I'm not sure what it was.

There was a news story about four men arrested for trying to bomb synagogues and shoot down military airplanes as they were coming into a military airplane. Now maybe/maybe not that was our base, that's not for me to say in the definite on here but what it did do was remind me a bit of the danger of my husband's job.

Now I have had people say to me before that you could get hit by a bus crossing the street and while that is true, the bus driver usually isn't aiming for you.

By virtue of what my husband is, the oath he's taken, the flag he serves under, the organization that he is a part of and thus is a part of him, there is a price on his head.

We know that there is worry associated with our loved ones job if their in the military. Most of us aren't morons, this fact doesn't escape us. But I know for me at least, it had become normal.

I do worry some when he's flying, because well, as the S@m's club employee told my son once, airplanes do fall out of the sky, stuff can go wrong. And Lord knows I worry when he goes to some of the places he goes. I know that he goes to places where people are gunning for him, but now I'm reminded that that worry extends to here.

And I mean here as in the good ol US of A.

I just saw a news story on Fox that it looks like the guy who shot, killed one and wounded another recruiter in Arkansas was perhaps part of something larger, that there were more plans to take out more people.

And don't give me that "we started it and now the poor mistreated don't like us". News flash, we're apparently the infidels, they never liked us, but trust me, that's a whole nother rant for me to go down.

Just one more reason to really appreciate the military. Not just for all they do but for all they are willing to do.

They sign up for a job knowing that the risk isn't just limited to one region, but that it extends everywhere. Because of who and what they are.

20 comments:

  1. Truly awesome (if not slightly terrifying) post. It really is amazing that these men and women are willing to go get shot, blown up, etc. for our freedom. Sigh. The day my hubby got back to Baghdad before heading to his little super secret location, a roadside bomb blew up an American soldier. Back to reality, I guess. Time to re-commence the worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyday i am amazed my my husband and all the military members who do what they do. AMAZING! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget about that danger stuff too...maybe I just block it out. Hubby is stateside at the moment...so I guess isn't a worry now. I get overwhelmed with gratitude to all the men and women that are in danger...today, everyday. And believe me...having been there...I always think of the families that are left behind.

    Great post, and although he is not with you...you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm a lurker/new reader, and you have no idea how much what you wrote today speaks to me. Long story short, I've started following your (and other MilWife blogs) because my husband is probably going to join the army later this year, and I'm trying to get some insight into what we're getting ourselves into. So, thanks for sharing and being so transparent. I'll be here, following you for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I can relate to what you are saying here.
    I do worry more often than not. The shooting in Arkansas was terrible.

    I do hope to see you soon at my blog as well. Not too many of us Marine Corps wives. Our hubby's may know each other.

    Have a wonderful day.
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, what a great post. It is easy for me to forget living in this little burg, away from any sort of military community. Thanks for that.

    I really enjoy Savannah. We do our shopping up there, there isn't much here. My daughter and I are going to go back and see a couple of the homes in the historic district and the art museum. Anyplace else I should make a point to see?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, what a great post. It is easy for me to forget living in this little burg, away from any sort of military community. Thanks for that.

    I really enjoy Savannah. We do our shopping up there, there isn't much here. My daughter and I are going to go back and see a couple of the homes in the historic district and the art museum. Anyplace else I should make a point to see?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Rob was overseas I did a good job of numbing myself over until the day that someone in his company was killed and the FRG called me. Then he got shot. So that really hit home for me that this was serious. When he came home he told me all of the stuff that he didn't tell me when he was there, and let's just say that if he went over again I think they'd have to commit me.

    I'm waiting for an email! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had one of these ah ha moments. It was when Matt showed me pictures of where he's at over there. AND OMG. I wanted to cry right then and there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah..I can't imagine how much television can make a worry box even worse! I know how we are already and I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm sure it's hard to not watch as well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for coming by and your nice words on our home. I really appreciate it.

    Please know you're welcome to follow along as well.

    Have a blessed evening.
    Take Care, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true. I'm proud of our men and women and all that they do, and put up with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You say all the right things! I do not watch the news nor do I want to watch the news! I worry way to much without watching it. Its truly a blessing that we have these brave men and women out their willing to do anything for our country. When I talk to Drew I don't let him tell me about the things going on over there right now. I would turn into a crazy woman..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought that once the hubby was home I wouldn't have to worry about him anymore, but after the recruiter shooting this week I know that isn't the case. Apparently I have to worry that anytime he's in uniform he has the chance of being hurt or killed...no matter where he is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have much to add, but I'd like to smack that person in Sam's that told your son that. It's one thing to say that to me, but my kid? Eesh. Here's praying he will always come home to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, I've got to know where is this news story? Do you have a link or something. I would like to read it.(especially considering the fact that I live on an air base) Very interesting!! Thanks! I appreciate all that our men and women in the military are willing to do for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh... keep preaching! I totally see what you're saying, and if anyone wants to worry about the "poor mistreated souls" and water-boarding and all that crap... than they can leave! I think i've said that before on here, but COME ON, people!

    Stop protecting the insane psychotic brain-washed idiots that are trying to kill us and WAKE UP!

    wow... I think your ranks tend to spark something in me. ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your writing.. how brave you are... I'd be a nutcase...and I'd never sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was going to call you as soon as I heard where everything was I couldn't find your number.

    When my husband told me about the Arkansas thing, the first thing I asked was if Arkansas has the death penalty (apparently they do).

    I can't watch or read the news when DH is deployed. I get too paranoid, especially because half the time, I don't even know where he is.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww what a great post! Yes I agree with everyone else.. scary. But I know for me at least I couldn't be prouder of my hubby and all the other military men out there! But that doesn't keep one from worrying!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.