Thursday, August 6, 2009

If a small is a medium and a medium is a large what's a regular?

I like to fancy myself a rather intelligent person. I did well in school, survived college, heck I was halfway thru a master's before I had kids. But apparently I am too slow to catch on to new sizes when it comes to fast food drinks.

Perhaps it's less my intelligence and more my short term memory. Or maybe I'm just old school and a small should be a small and a large should be a large, not a giant two litter designed to fit in your car cup holder.

It seems more and more fast food chains are changing the sizes. And this annoys me. A lot. When I order a small or medium I wanted just that, A SMALL or MEDIUM. Do not hand me what is clearly a LARGE and tell me that's the new size.

Here's a clue folks, if the cup is so big I can barely hold it with one hand, quite obviously, NOT A MEDIUM. In fact I'm not even sure in what world that is a large.

I'm not one of those people who tirades against fast food. I eat it, my kids eat it, although I make my kids eat the "healthier options" they are eating apples while I eat fries. Bless his heart -1 wrinkles his nose if you even offer one to him. And by no means do they drink soda. I am sadly a coca cola freak, this I admit, however it will be a long time till sweet soda crosses their lips.

Face it, fast food has a place in our world and its here to stay, I'm not railing against that I just don't understand why they can't leave the damn sizes alone.

I can't help to think that perhaps the fact that a medium is now a friggin ginormous isn't helping the fat state of our country. Plus some of us are creatures of habit and will continue to order smalls and mediums only to be handed WAY more then we want or need.

I suppose I could just drink exclusively water and solve this problem. However I'm thinking the world would not be a better place if I didn't have my one fountain coke a day. In fact it would be a much scarier place.

17 comments:

  1. Sizes are crazy! In fact, if I grab fast food I try to order a kids meal for myself the food and drink portions are much smaller, so I don't feel so guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband orders by ounce so that he know what he's going to get. So He'll ask for a 16 ounce soda or a 12 ounce coffee... just to be clear.

    Ever order a large from Panda Express? It's so large it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. And I know this sounds crazy (and maybe it's my pregnant mommy brain) but is it just me or is the Route 44 from Sonic bigger than it used to be? I mean, it's supposed to be 44 oz, but it just seems so much bigger than it used to be. Maybe the cup shape? I don't know, but everytime I get one I swear it's bigger than the one of 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a lot of ice too.

    I got the bags in the mail today! They are sooo lovely. My daughter loves them! Thanks for the goodies inside too! You are the best! One of them is perfect for keeping wipes in the car. They look snazzy!!! Your Mom is sooo talented. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally know what you're talking about!
    I discovered the same thing with popcorn bags at the movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you - do they WANT me to be ginormo like the sizes theyr'e handing me? Yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I JUST had this conversation with a coworker. I was running over to Dunkin Donuts to get a donut and asked if he wanted anything. He said "I want a medium. Er. A large. I think their sizes are medium-large-extra large. Hrm. Whatever one is their "middle" size."

    He hands me money and I go on my merry way.

    Needless to say, I arrive at DD and there is no middle size -- they have FOUR-- sm-md-lg-xlg. *arrrrrrrrgh* hahaha. I opted for the large because you can't ever go wrong with more coffee, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right there with you...without my fountain drink you don't want to know me

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's funny, I feel like they keep shrinking the sizes but upping the prices! The only place I know where I feel like I get a good cost-to-drink-size ratio is Carl's Jr, and I don't really even like their food. They have the best breakfast anywhere, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely agree with this one, portion sizes have gotten way out of hand.

    Hmmmm... think this goes hand in hand with clothing sizes changing? I've notied that a lot of stores have gotten more generous with their sizes, when I know I'm a 10 there are a lot of stores that are consistently bigger and I have to buy 8's there. I think they do that to make us feel better about all those "medium" cokes we're putting down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know! I went to Wendy's the other day and asked for a medium french fries and they gave me this HUGE thing of them. I was like there's no way it's a medium. It had to be their Biggie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. amen. and at sonic lately they are giving you a free route 44 which is HUGE. but i am all, i don't want one. and they are all, it's free. and i am all, stick it people. i already pee enough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few weeks ago all I wanted was a thing of fries so of course I quickly went through the drive-thru and ordered a medium fry- well medium is now small-in that moment I was so disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how at Sonic they look at you funny when you don't accept the free upgrade to a Route 42 size drink. "But it's free?"

    Lol...anyway, this cool cup holder can hold the largest of drinks, even ones with handles. It attaches to the armrests of wheelchairs, scooters, airline seating, stadium seating, and office chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have actually on several occasions ordered the kiddy meal because it's the right size. Soooo, I guess that means even in kids sizes the portions aren't right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, since I started working I've had to figure this out. Just Monday in fact, the nice lady at Arby's put them all out on the counter for me. My new medium is now, apparently a small. I guess my education just is no help with this...or the copy machine at work. Yeah. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why are fountain sodas SO much better than in a can... or dare I say, a bottle?? I live for my fountain sodas!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.