Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dash-3 has a name

There is resolution in the flyboy household. **insert chorus of angels singing here**

A name for our newest dash has been decided on.

Shoot we've even filled out the birth certificate form, well all except the info of his actual birth. Apparently they like you to be very accurate on that not just guesstimate. Probably better that way.

Thomas Joseph, much as I liked the name and loved the meaning behind it was vetoed out once and for all. Turns out there was a Jospeh at some point in flyboy's working career who is now in jail for some not so nice kid related stuff. He said he just couldn't get past that with the name. When I explained that to my mom expecting her to side with me and poo poo him that his reason outweighs a dead brother (she had a baby brother who passed away named Joseph if you didn't catch that post) so he wins.

Damn. I hate when she sides with him, it just inflates his ego.

And if you'll remember his other choice was Seamus, I just couldn't get on board with that. It didn't fit with our other boys names and well, I don't want him getting beat up routinely.

So it's settled, Thomas Parker.

Not only is Parker a great name, it happens to be my maiden name and this way, it goes on with one of my boys. My mother gave my brother her maiden name as his middle name and I really wanted to do the same with a boy should we have them.

I didn't know we'd end up with three. Or that it would take the third boy to get my way.

The name means a lot to me in another way and especially as I get more hormonal it's making me very sentimental. My little one will have the same exact name as my grandfather (he didn't have a middle name) who passed away a few years before I was born.

From what I know of him he was an amazing man. He served his country proudly during WW2, was a smarty pants who earned his college degree while working on the railroad, was a family man who worshiped the ground my grandmother walked on and vice versa. And was wicked sarcastic. Clearly its genetic.

I never knew my grandfather. But I feel like I did. My grandmother was a very special lady in my life. My sister and I were born in rather close succession shortly after my grandfather died. Her soulmate was no longer there and I think she clung to the new life as a way to move thru the grief.

Not to mention, like me, she had three boys and now she finally had some girls around. And as my mother tells me, grandkids are WAY more fun then your own kids.

My grandmother was so in love with my grandfather that she kept his memory alive for as long as she was alive. She passed away while I was in college. She wasn't there to share in my graduation, my wedding, the birth of my children. Right now I want nothing more then to call her up and tell her that we picked a name and what it was, she would be thrilled.

But alas, that's one long distance call I can't make.

As much as I'm naming him for my maiden name and for my grandfather, part of me is naming him for my grandmother. Like I said, I know she would be thrilled.

And probably laughing hysterically that I too am enduring the fate of having three boys.

37 comments:

  1. what a sweet post! i like that name, too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! I love love love the name Parker. Good choice! And way to hold out for the Seamus veto :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My very good friend since I was four is named Thomas, so I really love that name. And I love the history behind his name, and I'm sure you will get a lot of happiness out of telling the story to everyone after he's born.

    Having a close relationship with a grandparents is something that I missed out on, but between my parents and LT's mom, I know our kids are going to very blessed in that department, which I am grateful for.

    So, not that the name is picked, are you guys all ready for the new arrival?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an adorable name! My hubby and I want to give our sons meaningful names (if we have boys).

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it. the name. the history. all of it - it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it. And it's not one people will be puzzling over for hours wondering how on earth to pronounce. I hope creative spelling goes out of vogue soon. Maybe when all these kids grow up with weird names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great name, and even better because it means so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Both my boys' middle names are my maiden name Murphy, so of course I think you made a good choice to honor it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big fan of the name and I love it even more with the story and meaning behind it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post. And I love that name!


    In E's family his grandfather, father and himself all have the same first name- it actually goes way back further than that with it alternating short versions of Fritz, Fred, E. All had various middle names- E though was given his mothers last name (she chose to keep her name and not take my fil's) E wants to carry on the tradition of naming our first son that name and it would land on him being called Fritz for short- I might have to try to convince him that he goes by E squared instead- I think a child in this day and age with the nickname Fritz would be teased to death!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it.

    My grandfather's name was Thomas. He was an increadible guy who had this affinity with pets and children were they all loved him, absolutely and completely. He was a man who found joy in everything. So I really love that name. And I like the meaning for Parker.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet post... love the name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the name and the sentiments behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story! My sister in law's oldest son has her mom's maiden name so that name would be carried on, and if I have kids, I may give one of them my mom's maiden name as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful name, I'm sure he'll appreciate the family connection. Whenever it's our turn for baby names, I want to pick family-related names too so thanks for the re-inspiration to do so :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thats a great name! Classic with meaning.

    I might be slightly biased though since my middle name is my grandmothers maiden name....but still, I think it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What happened to diego?!!! Ha.

    In all seriousness, I love the name you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great name! Although I was partial to Seamus ;) I wasn't expecting the post to make me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a great name! I love it when families are able to incorporate family meaning into a baby name!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love love love the name and this post. Scott and I have talked about doing something similar if we have a girl. I've always like the name Alex or Alexandria for a girl... and it turns out Alexander was my Papa's (who I never knew... died when I was a little over a year and also served in WW2) middle name. So if/when we have a girl, we are going to give her that middle name. I too, would love nothing more than to tell my sweet Nana that. She also loved my Papa more than anything on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great name and sounds like a decision that everyone is happy with!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, so your post totally made me tear up.

    I love the name, but the meaning behind it is the very best part.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey I had a question for you- can you think of any churches (non catholic) or nice places in that general area that would be good for our renewal in early April since the big chapel on post won't do it the day we want. It's so hard for me to think of places from up here. My mom checked out a place today in Cold Spring and it only its like 30 people- if you have any ideas let me know! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really, really love the name you guys picked out. And the reasons why make me love it even more.

    Isn't it a good feeling to know what you are going to name your new baby?!
    We only experienced that one time - with Eve. The other two... not so much.
    Poor Judah didn't have a name for almost three days. But, his name is very special and I am glad that we took our time putting it together. His middle name is my great grandfather's last name - Lange. It means the world to me that he carries that name on.

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic name. I am sure that he will live up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it!!! Nice choice.. good ring and lots of meaning - it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the name! I think you made a great choice. And I love that it's meaningful to you too. That's just icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad you found something that you both can agree on. I love it, it's a great name and it has a lot of meaning. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great choice for a name!
    My son's middle name is my maiden name as well. It was nice to pass on the name somehow since my mom had all girls.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't realize your Grandpa has the same name. That makes it all the more special. I know you and your gramma were super close so I'm sure she would have loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's an awesome name! And this post was really sweet :)

    Stonewall's middle name is also his mom's maiden name. Although, I'll admit, it's not as cool as Parker. When we were trying to decide Lil' Mootz's name I considered using the name, Brickner, but then I was like, "But what would people call him?" You have to be really cool and really a man's man to pull off Brick and well, what if he just coulnd't do it? Plus, I also kept thinking of Cat in a Hot Tin Roof and if I remember right, Brick was a jerk in that play/movie.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the name! Junior has my maiden name as his middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this post, especially the part about our grandparents. So touching and I couldn't agree more. I had no idea dash-3's middle name was Parker!! Grandma REALLY would have loved that you named your son Thomas Parker, so you should think of him as her favorite :). Obviously, I approve. I have been thinking if I ever have a son, I might name him Parker, because hopefully at that point, I won't be a Parker anymore!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.