Sunday, June 1, 2008

A little less safe

It could have been worse. They could have trashed out place, they could have taken more things that couldn't have been replaced, they could have taken things that could have been replaced but would have been a pain, they could have destroyed family furniture that means something to me. Someone could have come in at night while my babies were sleeping. It could have been worse. But it still sucks.

Someone broke into our house.

My safe place no longer feels as safe as it did. My space, my space has been compromised by some punk kid looking for whatever he could take quickly and hide in his pockets.

Long story short, flyboy put the air conditioner in the window (I know window units, ugh) the day prior. He had yet to screw them in, he was going to get to that this weekend, you had to do a fair amount of prying for it to come loose and we live in a very safe area. One of the reasons we love it here is because its the type of place where you can leave all your windows open and your front door unlocked while your out. Or so we thought.

Anyways we noticed yesterday that the ac was messed up in the window, it just didn't look right. We also noticed a bizarre trail of change throughout the house. People with small kids (especially those who eat everything) can be zealots about change, we are no exception. Well the giant beer stein were flyboy dumps his when he gets home was empty, he thought I had done soemthing with it, I assumed he had.

When we noticed the ac we realized that something was amiss. We thought two things, either someone slipped in and just took some crap or someone slipped in to see if they could and what we had. Neither one left me particularly comfortable. I ran up to check my jewelry box and the little bastard had left almost everything in there thanks to my laziness and just jamming stuff in the bottom drawer I guess he couldnt get it unstuck quick enough. But he did get away with two older pieces that flyboys mother had given me from his grandmother. Nothing fancy or particularly pricey but family stuff none the less that I planned on getting cleaned up for a future daughter or something.

I am pissed because my little fortress of solitude no longer feels as safe as it did. Some creep came into my house and went thru my things. He walked around and saw pictures of a happy family and still decided to take whatever he wanted. And even had the nerve to help himself to a beverage from our fridge.

My mother insists we need an alarm. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Beretta Carbine. We are looking into carbines and our lovely landlords are having an alarm company come out sometime this week. Best of both worlds I suppose. They said to discuss with the guy what we wanted and he would outfit the house with whatever we needed. And while the cops said you cant shoot someone just for entering your house, my landlord said shoot when they hit the driveway.

23 comments:

  1. Kudos to your landlord for trying to make you feel more secure. I'm sorry you had to go through this, I would feel violated too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That is horrible. I would feel so outraged, too.

    I'm glad you are all ok, but I'll still say a prayer for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I moved into my first apartment on my own, I bought a pistol. I live in a large city, right by a busy highway in a very nice apartment complex. Anyone might WANT to come in there. I welcome it, as long as they know I have good aim. I am from Texas, and all.

    I'm so sorry. Is isn't about what they took at this point, it sounds frustrating that someone had the balls to just come into your house at all! As if they had some right to do it! Idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry what a horrible feeling. Ive been robbed too. Its just awful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I am soo sorry to hear what happened. Thank goodness your landlord is just as concerned as you and your family are.

    Hopefully, between the alarm and the carbine, you'll start to feel safer again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that happened to you. I have to say that I already like your landlord though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Stonewall and I moved the first thing we did was put in an alarm system. We knew Sontewall would be deploying again and I would have many nights home alone. I feel so much safer with an alarm. We can move our sensors, so in the summer when we put in our air conditioners, the alarm will still work. The great thing is that now alarm systems can be hooked up via satellite, so you don't have to worry if someone cuts your phone line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I would highly suggest a gun (or several - I have them scattered throughout the house) it won't do you any good if someone robs you while you're away. I hope for someone brave enough to rob me while I'm home. They won't make it out alive.

    But I can't imagine what it must be like to know someone was in the place YOU pay for, the place you call home. I'm sorry to hear that it happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh. How terrible! I can understand how that can really throw you off.

    I've got a glock you can borrow if you need it. Somehow the BF "forgot" it at my house and it's been sitting in my nighstand for a few weeks now.

    And THAT folks, is why you Don't Mess with Texas! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap. How awful for you. I'm glad you're getting the security system and the gun - it'll help you feel more secure at the *very* least when the husband takes off again.

    I can't believe it's not legal to shoot someone who's illegally entered your home. Did they say you have to be threatened first, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, I am so sorry. The person who broke in has A TON of bad karma coming his way. At least you can look on the bright side.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh! I'm so glad that you all are ok, but having someone violate your space like that is still sickening. I'm so sorry.

    I know the joke has already been made but if you didn't have to (literally) cross a river, open an iron gate and then drive a mile to my tiny itty bitty apt. I'd have a revolver in my nightstand. Texas.

    I'm so glad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry that happened to you. We had it happen to us several years back and I literally didn't sleep for days. Someone's hands were in my underwear drawer and had entered MY space. My little corner of the earth had been violated.

    Wishing you all the best. Don't forget to check your local pawn shops for your goods...we found some of ours there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. *hugs*

    I was raised by a mother who had her house broken into and robbed twice as a child, so I know the paranoia it generates. And the fear.

    I am so sorry. Einstein and I both hope that you feel safe again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh this is just horrible...I'm glad you guys are okay but I am more happy that you are able to get an alarm....
    Hope your fortress of solitude becomes to feel more fortress like soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i am sooo very sorry.

    this happened to me in college and it truly is just the weirdest most awful feeling. someone had been in my room, my kitchen, my house, my drawers.

    glad everyone is ok.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, no! What a rotten kid. Argh. Never had a break in at home - but did have a few at work a couple years ago and it does leave you with the worst feeling. Hope the alarm company gets something set up for your quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you!! It happened to my grandparents numerous times when I was growing up, but their neighborhood wasn't the greatest. I have a gun too, and yes, I'm a Texan! You and your family will be in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good landlord! Keep him! Hope the alarms help you feel safer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word!!!! I can't even imagine! I would be mad, scared, feel violated, mad, mad, mad!

    I have to say, I'm loving your landlord! If someone comes in my house, you'd better believe I'll have my Glock out and not be afraid to use it!!!

    I am so sorry that this happened to you - I'm sorry for the violation of your safe haven. And for the loss of future gifts to sweet daughter-in-laws.

    Stupid punks!

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG... I'm so glad no one was home and no one was hurt. Sucks to have your stuff taken but like you said it could've been way worse.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just terrible and I am sorry that you and your family had to go through this.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.