Sunday, June 8, 2008

Of all the reasons to vote for someone

I saw something on my "mommy board" the other day. I should say as a little disclaimer that I haven't really gone on it lately. Negativity has taken over, all they do is whine about their lives, kids, husbands, etc. and I figure why invite it into you life if you don't need too. I mean I'm all over a funny rant about poop but just outright negativity is unnecessary in my life right now. And since I live in a really blue state any actual discussions tend to leave me on the other side of the fence with my eyes rolling back in my head.

But I go on from time to time to see if there is anything fun to do with the kids or what not. Well I clicked a thread that had something to do with making the world better for our kids. I was curious. Ick. I shouldn't have clicked it. I was about how great it was that Obama was getting the democratic nod and how great it was that history was being made with a woman and a minority had run, how if Clinton was to be his VP and they got elected how the country would be changing for the better for our kids. Umm yeah.

Now there is a lot there that irritates me. First you could make some argument that this is the first time that a minority has received the nomination of a major party, but African Americans have run for President before. I mean Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have only run like 10 times each it seems! And lets not forget that Geraldine Ferraro was on the ticket to be Walter Mondale's VP. And didn't Elizabeth Dole have a rather respectable showing in the Republican Primaries not too long ago?

I get the point that the way is being paved for a more diverse field then just a couple of old white guys and I think that its a shame that more diverse candidates aren't out there. But what kept bothering me and believe me, I read the last line over and over probably 20 times, is how if they got elected the world would be a better place. Hey everyone thinks their candidate is the better guy, just like you think your kid is cuter, but it seems like me, and what bothers me is that people think they're the ticket because of their race and gender. In my mind voting for him so that you can say you voted for the first black president is as bad as NOT voting for someone because of their race or gender.

It should be about who is the most qualified. Black, white, blue, green, man, woman, alien (no illegals please). Who has the experience, the knowledge, the courage of character to lead this nation where it needs to go. We have problems, oh do we have problems, big problems and people should be seriously looking at the candidates. Not just on their outward appearances. Its things like this that scare me about the future of our country.

13 comments:

  1. I agree. More and more it seems this election is turning into a popularity contest instead of what it should be- choosing the person who is best equipped and experienced to lead our nation for the next 4 years.

    I've heard alot about how charismatic Obama is. How inspiring his speeches are. The excitement he brings being a fairly young (and black) individual seeking office. But what exactly has he said he going to DO once he's elected?? I've heard almost ZERO about that.

    It shouldn't matter if the president is black, white , young, old, man or woman...I need more substance than that when I go out to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for your recipe for the turkey burgers. My husband loves to grill so I'll have him make them for me.

    Plus I love feta cheese, so I have a feeling I'm going to love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK now, you know the press will not like people who can remember history. I think that is part of the reason students come out of school with no knowledge of the past, if they do not like what happened the will not tell you, oh well, I am off on a tangent from your post. Just so you know my opinion of Obama, he has the talent to use such wonderful words to say nothing. We are in trouble if he wins this election.

    I like the new look on you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that voting for someone because of their gender/race is as bad as not voting for someone because of their gender/race. Argh. Have we forgotten all about merit??!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought civil rights was all about NOT judging someone by the color of their skin. What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a liberal.. I couldn't agree with you more! I don't care about colour, sex or anything. I know I don't want the same as we have had. My candidate was knocked out a long time ago (Richardson was a better candidate, more experience, better diplomat, been a governor.. and some seasoning) I don't know what's going to happen.. am I scared? I don't know. I'm hoping that we can get our economy back, get the housing market back (so I can sell our house!) and make sure that the VA and DOD are funded (husband is Active, son and DIL are Veterans) I would like to see some type of health care reform.. I'd like to see less Teaching to the Tests...

    Good luck to us all.

    LAW

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say to this is, Amen. It irritates me greatly that people would vote for someone just because of their superficial qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You said it well and I have nothing else to add but a big fat, "I AGREE!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, and another big fat, I AGREE! I'm staying out of real discussion other than that--yesterday I was watching "Charlie Wilson's War" and went on a rant that made my husband start looking at me like he was worried. *giggle* I don't want to get started now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree. I also really don't beleive that our country will be better and the future will be better if a black man or woman is President. How can we say we'll be better because of a race or gender? That's simply magnifying the discriminations we've been trying to fight for so long. It seems more of a step back than a step forward. In my opinion it is the same concept as saying we're worse because of race or gender.

    That being said...I really don't think Obama will win. For various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, too. I don't want a president who wins because he or she is a novelty. If people want to vote for people for what they stand for? Great. I'm glad they're paying attention. But to vote for someone strictly because of what they look like is setting a BAD example for the future, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post! I totally agree. It's not about color, sex, religion, or even party. It's about who is the most qualified for the job. At least, that's how I vote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well put! I am dying to get back to blogging soon! Had a nice 3 week long break but am missing the everyday routine now! I love reading your blog! Keep the good stuff coming! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.