Monday, June 23, 2008

In the still of the night

The other night my dear dash-1 would not go to bed. Bedtime is sacred in our house and usually the little ones know that they will not win a battle of wills after 7:15 pm and really, there is no point in trying. Dash-2 went right off to sleep, curled up with his monkey and his favorite fish quilt from grandma in his new big boy bed. The other one... well the other one had other plans.

Dash-1 kept checking on the ground hogs out of his window, counted the number of birds on the telephone poll, watched an ant crawl across the window pane, went to the bathroom 5 times for no show pee, and requested a nighttime snack twice. By 9:30 I should have been torqued but for some reason it just didn't bother me.

I saw the humor in it. I found his excuses to get out of bed funny (just had to make sure flyboy turned the bath tub off correctly 2 1/2 hours prior), I saw the twinkle in his eye as he thought he might get one over on me and thought it was just amusing. Life is short, let the little one win one every now and again. So we checked the water. And then I strayed from my usual modus operandi.

We curled into the comfy chair (my beloved armchair glider) got a blanket and watched us some Top Chef in the dark. There we sat, slightly rocking, next to the open windows, getting a nice cool breeze, smelling the sweet farm smells of freshly bailed hay and had cuddle time. We looked at some stars, watched the clouds move across the moon and made icky faces at some of the weird concoctions they created on Top Chef (really who would eat some of that stuff).

This is in no way going to be an everyday thing. Bedtime is still sacred, very sacred in this house. But I also need to learn to slow down. Enjoy the moments that life puts before me instead of rushing to stay to some schedule. I find myself moving so quickly sometimes, trying to balance everything, to not crack under pressure and in doing so putting more pressure on my shoulders that inevitably I crack.

I am trying my best to Stop. Slow down. Enjoy the moments. Enjoy my children. And let them feel the love that I have for them.

13 comments:

  1. simply beautiful.

    glad you both enjoyed such a rare moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the pain and the joy in this post. The blissful 7:30 bedtime enables me to spend at least 4 hours of adult time! In the same breath, there is something so endearing about your child wanting to hang out with you, snuggling and whispering, that reminds us of this fleeting passage of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Sounds like a great moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's okay to break the rules..for both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are the moments that make a woman a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive got to do that too. Its all rush rush rush at bed time and I end up yelling taking a break every now and then might be just the thing we need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute post. It's good to become aware and just enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're making me want to be a mom. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi leanna -- awh, love how you slowed down and enjoyed the cuddle moment. adorable. kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bedtime for us is sacred as well. Though this summer has been a little lax at enforcing it. It has been to nice outside to force them in before the sun goes down!

    I am so glad that you had a wonderful evening with dash-1. Hopefully he doesn't run you ragged trying for another one!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a really great end to a really great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's always a time and a place for breaking the rules. It's what makes childhood so magical.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.