Friday, April 11, 2008

Just had to try

Dash-1 is a tricky lil fellow. He's smart as a whip, I mean he has his moments, just the day before he walked face first into a closed door, but the kid is really bright. He gets that from his father, he gets his need for routine from me. Anyways it would seem that he has a new trick up his sleeve and he's trying to see how its going to go over.

Yesterday we went on a quick trip to Target. Now it would seem that we are always at Target and well, its cause we are. So shoot me. My mind is not quite the steel trap it used to be and I'm always running out for something. The boys love Target, perhaps its the hope of getting a new matchbox car (Flyboy loves matchbox cars so he feeds their addiction as well) or maybe a warm pretzel as we are leaving if everyone is good, but usually trips to Target are a breeze. Yesterday not so much. The second we got there Dash-1 went into a full breakdown, I made it no further into the store then the dollar bins when I turned the cart around and went back to the car. Poor bitter betty called me on my cell at this point only to hear the full on screaming of a three year old (and she doesn't want kids yet, I don't get it). I tried talking with him but when I saw where this was headed I did all I could, strapped him into his car seat, ignored him, and went on driving. Seemed better then the other option, strapping him to the roof rack. He finally calmed down, I knew he would, and we started discussing why we had to leave Target and what his other options could have been. He seemed to understand that he had not been a very nice boy. And then the words came out of his mouth.

"Mommy I miss daddy. I'm just so sad that he's not coming home tonight. My heart just hurts."

I looked back at him and he had his little head cocked to the side with his lip sticking out. I kinda took it in, the words that he had said made my heart hurt but no way Jose was he going down this path of reasoning with me. Well played little one but mommy wasn't born yesterday.

I told him that I missed daddy and Dash-2 missed daddy, that sometimes we get a little sad when he has to go flying but that isn't an excuse for acting like a deranged lunatic. Daddy will come and go, this is our life, and the boys need to learn that I will accept many things in life but that logic is not going to be a get out of jail free card.

Nice try little man. Maybe next time you'll get one over on me.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm very impressed :) Even just reading those words and imagining a little guy saying that I wanted to hug him and buy him a pretzel... but you're so right :).

    Maybe I should remind myself of the same thing sometimes lol. "KJ, just because you miss him, it is no reason to act like a deranged lunatic" - noted. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a good one. My cute as a button nephew (whose dad is Air Force as well) pulled that on me when it didn't work on his mom.

    Guess who wimped out...that's right! ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The joys of parenting, sometimes you win......smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. They always seem to know just what buttons to press. Good for you for being so together and calm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keenan tries exactly the same thing at bedtime when he doesn't want to go to sleep. "Momma...I miss my daddy."

    It's charming the things they try, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sad face*

    i would have given in.

    he woulda had me at "my heart just hurts"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such a nice try little one. Glad you didn't buy it, though I bet it was hard. Amazing how very smart they are isn't it. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I'm impressed that you were able to reassure him that his feelings were valid, that he isn't alone in them, and yet it still isn't a good reason to act the way he did.

    I'd probably have had to hear that though the driver's side window as he screamed over the wind from the roof rack. ;) Guess it's a good thing our car didn't come with one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed that you left the store. Go mom! Sometimes you just have to leave and try again another day.

    My kids only seem to try to pull the "I miss dad" thing when they know they're in trouble....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know whether to laugh or cry...kids are so intuitive, it is really amazing.

    Glad you didn't take any crap though. That could lead to a loooong irreversible road! I really truly admire you for raising your boys :)e

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha ha..dash 1 is a little genius.
    I always feel like he is plotting to take over the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha...that was a good try! Oh geez, I can't lie. That line would have had me. I'm such a softie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've tagged you for a meme. See my page for details.I hope you don't hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So here I am hoping my mommy-discernment grows as my child's vocabulary grows!! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my current state - less than two weeks into a 15 month deployment - I totally would have given in. No question..

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.