Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Is Karma peeing on me?

**a little warning. the below post is awfully whinny. but surely you'll find something to chuckle about.**

I like to think I do what I can to keep my karma nice and balanced. Just last month I ended up with a bunch of someone else's stuff in my bag at Target, when I got home and noticed I took the stuff back and turned it into customer service. I didn't pay for I don't want it. Someone left their groceries behind at the self checkout thing at the commissary I actually dragged both boys after them so they wouldn't get home missing a bag. Why then does it seem like Karma is shitting on us at the flyboy house?

Wouldn't you know why flyboy was off doing something somewhere the little darlings picked up, of all things, hand, foot, and mouth disease aka coxsackie virus. Its a lovely, highly contagious virus. First you get a low grade fever for a few days, then the fever spikes, then come the mouth sores and or tongue lesions, then the spots and blisters on your hands and feet. Some people get all the symptoms, some mix and match. Dash-2 was the first to get it, he had such a mild case that I didn't really think much of it. He had a mild fever, but he's getting some molars in figured that's what it was. Then when he got the rash I figured it was just a little reaction to something, after all my kids have amazingly sensitive skin. When Dash-1 spiked a 103.8 degree fever and his little mouth was covered in sores I thought something else might be going on. I took him down to the hospital and of course this was after hours so we went the ER route. Waste of time. Despite the negative strep test, his brother having an odd rash, and me actually saying "Oh Christ could this be HFM disease?". The dr blew me off and said it was probably something like strep and sent us home with amoxicillin.

Yeah well the next day I woke up feeling horrible, in adults you get some wicked joint pain and fatigue. Sweet right? You bet. I have to say the kids were pretty good about mommy being a total wash out that day. I basically parented from the floor, except for meal times and when someone needed help peeing or a diaper change. That night my fever spiked, the next day my throat was covered in spots and two days later I'm now covered in spots. Dash-2 is totally healthy, Dash-1, well he's back to his energetic self its just his face that's a mess, and me well. I'm just covered in spots and mighty uncomfortable.

I am also very frustrated. I mean, I'm irked that I'm covered in spotty blisters, I suppose on the good side they aren't huge oozing blisters, just little tiny bumps that are quite sore. But I'm more upset that we are sick again. Especially Dash-1, he's a tough little boy, but when he gets sick, it really hits him. I was just getting the weight back on him and settled down from his last bout of whatever and now this. But I did learn that you shouldn't jokingly tell the nurse that you think you might be losing it. Its kinda like making a joke when your going thru airplane security about your carry on. They don't think its funny.

I don't get it though. We don't live in filth, hardly. I mean I cant speak for the entire Marine Corps but the one I live with is a NEAT FREAK. His idea of a fun evening is mopping the kitchen floor with super strength bleach (bitter betty is so jealous). I make sure the boys wash their hands, I try to discourage any licking of the carts in walmart, we don't fling poo or anything like that. So why is Karma coming after me?

12 comments:

  1. Geez...I sure hope you catch a break soon. We are on week five of deployment and you guessed it, we are all still sick. We've had HFM disease before, but knowing my kids they probably did lick the carts at walmart....Abs did suck on the door handle of a public restroom too. It's a wonder we are all still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, this sounds terrible! I sure hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...yuck. I hope you're feeling better soon.....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you got me. Prior to now I had never even heard of HFM-maybe I had and forgot. Nasty.

    I guess we'll just have to call this a karmic accident. Hope you feel better soon and all the spots go poof in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww man, I hope you are all healthy and feeling better in no time!!

    Maybe Karma is preparing you for something REALLY great? Just have to get the bad balance out first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez...I'm so sorry that you guys are all so sick. I've never heard of HFM disease before. It does not sound pleasant!

    I will say you did make me laugh through your pain: fling poo and lick Wal mart carts...oMG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son has gootn it a few times. Its just one of those things. Yuck though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I really hope karma is setting you up for some fabulousness, because you really deserve it. Feel better!

    My brother's children are little germ factories. They're just about as clean as you can keep four kids between the ages of 2 and 9, but they're always coming down with nasty things and 'sharing the love' with the rest of the family. So I don't think that is a reflection on how clean your house is or whether you force your kids to wash their hands all the time. Some kids just attract germs...and it sounds like yours are those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really stinks! I am sorry everyone is sick again! I hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry: It's not karma, it's science! I hope you guys are feeling better soon. Everything happens when the men leave, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you need to have them fling poo and lick the carts to increase their immunity?

    Thank goodness Spring is here so they can go outside and eat some good, old fashioned dirt and be healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a mess! I hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.