Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All's quiet on the front.

I was all snuggled in my bed this morning, flyboy had begun the process at 4:40 of hitting the snooze, that irritates me. A lot. But then at 5:30 I heard something else that actually made me open both eyes. A very odd sound for that time of morning. I asked flyboy what it sounded like.

His reply, a mortar attack.

I think he was being funny, but seldom am I amused at 5:30.

One look out the window confirmed what I thought. Fireworks. AT 5:30 AM.

Today is the first day of school up here so perhaps a parent was just over excited but really... fireworks? I have memories of my mom getting us a new outfit, maybe making us a special breakfast, taking our pictures, but never, ever, ever did she set off fireworks.

Perhaps this parent was premature. Maybe my mom set them off when we had left the house.

Whatever it is its strange. I'm hoping this isn't a daily occurrence. The combo of the snooze and the fireworks might ruin any hope I have for peaceful morning bliss.

13 comments:

  1. Fireworks at 05:30??! Yikes!

    Of course, there are ranges nearby, and we sometimes hear artillery as late as 23:00!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live off base but it just so happens that we live behind a shooting range. A classy little operation called "the Bullet hole"...I never though I would get used to the sound of gunfire, but somehow I am. Except for those automatic weapons...I just want to drop to the floor when I hear those suckers go off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good lord, who does that? No one is ever that excited for school.

    And I saw that quote from Diddy on TMZ last week. I just about fainted from surprise at his diva nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, fireworks for the first day of school. That family would get along well in the town I grew up in. With all the trailer parks and cars on blocks and plastic flamingos in the front yards ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fireworks? I think I'd be a bit peeved at that. Fireworks should only make an appearance on the 4th of July and perhaps New Year's. No other days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTF???? Not cool. Who does that??

    ReplyDelete
  7. that would have shot me out of bed for sure. really, really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, seriously, who does that near a military installation? I feel bad for anyone with PTSD who was trying to sleep. That is just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just going to say dido to what Kristen said. OMG, are people for real!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear!

    We joked with my daughter that when she left for school today, we were going to have a party. Maybe you could have heard the fireworks from my house. ;) hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  11. shut up!!

    fireworks??

    please tell me you are kidding!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Note to self: when kids head off to school for the first time, set off celebration fireworks after 8 am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, you gotta be kidding. This is nuts!

    LAW

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.