Friday, July 11, 2008

A time for thanks

Dash-1 and I went on an adventure today. Or at least that's what I was telling him when I snatched him out of bed and tossed him in the car at 6:30 this morning. We made it to the ID post before he realized that our adventure was a trip to the allergist at Walter Reed. He told me quite eloquently that my adventures sucked. (side note: apparently that's now another word I should remove from my vocabulary)

His visit went as expected, still has lots of allergies, I certainly didn't expect that to change, but the more you know they more you can anticipate and plan accordingly. He was a trooper thru yet another round of testing and thankfully we have a few months to wait before our next "adventure". I'll have to come up with another way to lure him into the car before then.

As I drove home from WR today, I missed my husband. I wished he was here to hold our screaming child while he was pricked over and over, but I couldn't get the pictures of the young soldiers rolling down the hallways holding the hands of their wives facing much more then us.

I am thankful that my husband came home to me unharmed. I am thankful that despite all those days and nights filled with worry and fear, I did not have to face life with those fears realized.

I am thankful that my husband is able to pick me up and swing me around when he comes home. (It sounds corny but yes, yes it happens more often then people would think around here).

I am thankful that my husband is able to get on the floor and wrestle with my boys. As babies he tossed them into the air, he carries them on his back, and now he tosses a football around with them in the front yard.

I am thankful that for whatever awfulness he saw, it has not taken over who he is.

I am so very thankful for my sweet family and how lucky we are to have all that we have. And I am so very thankful for those who are facing much greater trials and tribulations then I could possibly understand.

8 comments:

  1. You are right. We have so much to be thankful for! I'm thankful that my husband is home this weekend (and most weekends!)

    Maybe the military makes us more appreciative for what we have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am thankful that there are wives and mama's out there like you...

    i just don't think i could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too :)

    It's good to be mindful of that when life seems difficult. There are so many families out there struggling in ways I can't even imagine. We're pretty darn lucky when you get down to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to give thanks. Continued blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, so true...

    I wish they would do allergy testing on a Junior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes and yes.

    We pretty routinely count our blessings and realize just how fortunate we are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry your dear son has to go through all of this testing. I've had a little done as an adult and it is definitely not fun.

    Very uplifting post though. You all are very blessed and that is a wonderful thing to be thankful for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post.

    I'm thankful for a lot of the same things..

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.