Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A new ID and jumping thru flaming hoops

All I want is to get my military ID renewed. I have the signed 1172 from the squadron, I have my old ID, my mother is even going to watch the kids so I don't have to drag them with me. So I ask... WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT!?!

Gone apparently are the days of just walking in to get one. Now you have to make an appointment online. Maybe I'm starting to become an old fart cause this is getting confusing for me.

And is anyone else confused about when the form ask for the last four SSN if they are asking for yours or your spouses? I always assume they are talking about him but since it was a form submitted online I'm afraid if I put the wrong one I wont really have an appointment and will drive down there for no reason tomorrow. If I was wrong I'll plead stupidity, I erred on the side of caution and put his. I've come to accept that the Marine Corps generally isn't asking questions about me. I'm ok with this. I do reap the benefits of the pay and what not.

Wow it just hit me that I've been married to the military long enough to now start saying "back in the day" followed by a rant. Yowza. Either that or I've just been around for a while and still don't understand it. Either or.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! You have to make an appointment to get one? I have to say that's ridiculous. We can still just walk in, even though sometimes it can take up to an hour. Why they have 2 people work that office when clearly there should be more I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until you are retired and live where their is no base. Mine is no problem, it is indefinite but my wife has to to go to a national guard armory, no one is there you cannot find when they will be back, oh well, what else did we have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to wait 2 hours to get mine. While I was waiting, they were busy dealing with a woman who swore she had never had an ID before. Well...She did, under her ex-husband's name. Yeah, her new husband didn't know that she had ever been married before. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy... my Marine is getting married in January... I guess I need to warn the furture Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have to make appointments, too, but that's better than when you need to replace a CAC card here. You have to walk in and hope that you'll get your card before they close. If they don't think they'll be done with everyone in the waiting room before it's quitting time, they throw everyone out. We waited something like 4 hours for DH to get his replacement card, only to find out that the civilian that had done my dependent ID hours before could have done it but was a lazy !@$*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm in no rush for that process.

    I've lived in Texas for 2+ years and still have an Iowa Drivers License because I hate waiting in lines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My ID will expire when my husband is deployed. Definitely not looking forward to those hoops either.

    I hope it goes smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about you, but it was never easy for me. There was the time in Korea when I thought I had everything I needed. Only to get to the ID office and be told Stretch needed to come in, too. Oh, it was winter and it was sleeting that day. So I was wet and frozen outside and then came into their overheated office not once, not twice, but THREE times that day before it was over. All the trouble I took with my hair and make-up went completely out the window.

    Thank God I got to get rid of that horrible ID when Stretch got promoted. I actually made him go with me during his R&R to get it so I could make sure and dump that picture as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remember our conversations about your "frienemy"? Well ours just ended any possibility of civility. Go read this: http://saravido.blogspot.com/2008/07/trashiest-woman-ever.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just posted under my "family friendly" blog ID and didn't want to confuse you so I had to delete it and re-try. Here's something like what I originally wrote:

    I know the feeling. I'm so opposed to waiting and going through the hassle that I still haven't gotten a new one since my hubby got promoted and he's going to go up another rank again soon. The bad thing is, I was 35 pounds heavier in my picture, so people don't beieve it's me. That's how bad I don't want to go through that process again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love the military and their forms? Honestly, they have a form for everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get stuck on the SSN question too. Especially with Tricare. Mine? His? We also have 2 addresses and 2 phone numbers. I want to bang my head against the wall whenever I need to fill out anything for the military.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.