Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th!

Happy fourth!

I drove down to the commissary today and passed by the Last Encampment of the Continental Army. Its not much to look at but I am fascinated by history so I've been there several times to walk around the outline of the fire pits, check out the blacksmith barn, and gawk at the "living" quarters. What hits me every time I drive by it or walk around there is that the troops arrived in October of 1782.

October folks up here can be the beginning of a looong winter.

I routinely drive past it in the early winter when there are six inches of snow and your fingers freeze just walking to the car. Yet those men, fighting for our freedom were often in unbearable conditions. I cant imagine going out in that weather without my coat, scarf, gloves, and still I complain that I'm freezing. Most men had barely adequate uniforms, shoes, and protection from the elements. I'm in awe of their fortitude. And quite grateful.

Hope everyone has a wonderful fourth of July! Try not to eat to many burgers at one time, over heat outside, or blow off any fingers with fireworks. Can you imagine the company you'd have in the emergency room on today!

4 comments:

  1. I want you to try your best to have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live just down the road from the last encampment....I had the same thoughts as you...almost every day, twice a day, as I drove to work....in the winter. Man, I'm thankful for the comforts we have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had a lovely holiday! And enjoy the rest of your weekend, too..

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.