Sunday, July 13, 2008

last night

There was a death last night in the squadron. It seems harder to accept because it was very much an avoidable circumstance. I think as military wives we have a certain amount of acceptance that something may happen to our husbands as a result of their jobs. Flyboy and I have known several guys who left for work one day and didn't come home, its very much a calculated risk for aircrew or for those in a war zone. As a spouse you never like it but you accept that it may happen.

Last night this wasn't the case, it was on home turf, no war, no flying. Too much beer was involved, too many stupid choices were made, and someone wont be coming home. Ever. I don't know how his poor wife will make sense of this. I know I couldn't.

My heart breaks for her and for her small kids. My heart breaks for them now and my heart breaks thinking about the day that they will be able to fully understand why this happened and that it didn't have too. I'm not sure what pain will be worse.

Thankfully my husband was about as far removed from this situation as one can be. Who knows what the full story will be, you know how these types of things can just spiral around like a tornado. The bits and pieces that have come out already are not pretty. When the dust settles who knows what the command will have to say. I hope that if nothing else comes of this that people will stop and think just a little bit harder about how no one is invincible and stupid decisions rarely go off without a hitch.

16 comments:

  1. So tragic. I will keep that family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those type of events are so difficult to wrap your brain around, particularly when you think about the "what ifs". I'm so sorry for their family, but also grateful that it didn't touch your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate hearing things like this....things that ARE avoidable, but with bad choices....sad. I hope that his family has the support they will need thru this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the preventable deaths extremely tragic. With all the worrying that wives do at home during deployments you'd think they wouldn't have to do it when their husbands are home. Very sad. The family is in my thoughts, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad. The family is in my thoughts and prayers.
    Callee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just sad . . . death is not pretty especially if it was an preventable. Thinking of the family left behind . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear this. It's so sad. As military wives we brace ourselves to hear news like this coming out of Iraq, but not here at home :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awful! I feel for the wife and his children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sad for his family. :( Prayers for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about this very sad indeed! I hope the family will have peace in their hearts during this difficult time! No one can ever prepare for things like this especially considering the circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very sorry to hear about this. I will say a prayer for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How horrifying. I'm deeply sorry for the squadron's loss and for that of the Marine's family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How tragic and terrible! And so glad to hear your husband is okay and was far removed from the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sad. Sad and completely avoidable. I feel for the family, my prayers are with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really sad tragic news. I feel very sad for his wife and kids.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.