Saturday, March 29, 2008

Life is like my bathroom

This maybe an odd post but hear me out it should make sense at some point.

I hosted a big play date a little while ago, back when everyone was healthy so lord knows how long that's been. One of the moms was walking around upstairs and said something to the extent that my bathroom was tiny and she couldn't function with a bathroom like that. Not in a snobby way but just that it was too small for her taste. OK to each their own, didn't really bother me.

For some reason every time I go into my bathroom now I think about what she said. The other night I was taking a shower while the boys were asleep and I was enjoying the peace and quiet and it dawned on me why I keep thinking about that comment. I love our bathroom. It's what sold me on the house. This place is an old farmhouse from the 1850's complete with the original wide plank pine floors and the outhouse out back. Nothing like looking at an outhouse when its 15 degrees outside to be thankful for indoor plumbing. But indoor plumbing isn't what sold me, I hear that comes standard in most houses now.

Our bathroom just has a cheery feel to it. It's on the small side, I'll give ya that. Its just a little to wide to say you could pee in the toilet from the tub, but just barely. The vanity is small, just the sink and enough room for some soap. The tub is a bit on the smaller size but it holds two little boys just perfect. I can touch the ceiling with my finger tips but I think it adds a cozy feel on cold days. There is a rather large (compared to the size of the room) window that has a beautiful view of a big old willow tree and the cow pastures. Not to shabby for a little room.

Now I'm not always the first to look at the bright side of things, but for some reason I have a hard time coming up with any negatives for this room. To me it seems like a pretty good metaphor for our military life, or really life in general. It might not work for everyone but for us it does. It is what you make it. You bring to it the attitude that you want to carry you through. This isn't to say that I don't see the negatives that come with military life. I do. Oh do I ever, but at the end of the day its what is working for us. We take the good and the bad and nine times out of the ten the good comes out ahead. But it can only do that when we bring that attitude to the table. Hmmm, note to self, try to apply this a little more.

Ah the revelations that come to me in the shower. Could you imagine what would come to me if I had time for a bath?

10 comments:

  1. When we were looking at houses, we were shown several that had huge bathrooms...big enough to have space to move in a couch, easy chair, and a tv at least.

    Not my cup of tea, either.

    I envy you your window in your bathroom. Wish the window in my own small bathroom was as big as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my bathroom too. It's small, but it's designed well. It's cozy, just like the rest of my little house and I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a beautiful way to put military lives! I don't have a window in my bathroom! *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty much perfect analogy. Since I am a "commuter" military wife, we have one house that has a bathroom nearly the size of the bedroom in the apartment. I love both places. The house is wonderful, the sunny place, the apartment we call the cave but its wonderful too. They are both "ours" and they each have their advantages.

    It really is what we make it, its just sometimes bringing the right attitude to the table gets testy. We all have our days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awh leanne, you're cool. good for you for not letting that comment get to you ... and for finding that you really do love it.

    hope you guys are doing much much much better now :) kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. Our military life is not perfect either (and neither is our bathroom!) but it works for us.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Your house sounds really great. Is the outhouse still in working order?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It reminds me of my mom's favorite phrases when we had just moved to a new city and I was complaining about the new place. Her standard come backs for my angst were: "Bloom where you are planted" and "You find what you look for." I think that's the secret of people who are content and happy no matter what is happening to them.

    You just have to find joy in where you are and what you have. Although it doesn't make it any less annoying to hear from your mother no matter how right she always is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, if you leave the bathroom soon (which I hope you are feeling better)...I left a Meme for you on my blog.

    I hope you have a great day

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.