Sunday, January 13, 2008

Did you have an ATM at your wedding?

All right I was switching channels after the Giants game ended. By the way, Giants won!! Flyboy missed the game, off somewhere doing something. He made me swear that I would have Dash-1 wear his jersey all day, since the last three times he has worn it they have won. Mystical powers that little tyke has. And whats even funnier is that Flyboy was dead serious that he thought Dash-1 should wear his jersey all day. I obliged, really what difference does it make to me and if it matters that much so be it. But I did draw the line at putting it over his pj's. On with my original point...

When the game was over I was switching around and stopped on some show that follows people as they plan their wedding. They give a budget to the planner, that's kept secret and then at the end reveal how much everything cost. There are a ton of wedding shows out there and I do watch a good many of them (a perk of having a husband who's never in town!) but sometimes it just seems like its too much.

I get that its their money and hey, spend it like you want, but all that money on one day? Some of these folks were spending more money then we make in a year.... and they weren't exactly high rollers. (Gotta love these shows where they tell you where the money is coming from, makes it easier to be catty about it!) I mean if you have to take a second mortgage on your house to finance your wedding is it really a wise decision to have a 3k cake, or a giant ice sculpture of the bride and groom?

Maybe I'm biased, Flyboy and I had a very simple (i.e. cheap) wedding. We were married around Christmas in the small church that I had grown up in, we had a simple (again read cheap) lunch reception in the church hall. We saved on certain things, doing the invites from the print at home packs (you couldn't even tell), we kept the guest list down, I made all the favors. Sure maybe I would have spent a little more here or there but I don't know if I could even spend 40 or 50 k on a single day. And lord knows nothing against anyone out there who did.

For us the focus was less on the day and what we were really there for. The two of us were coming together, standing before God, our family, and our friends and pledging our lives to each other. Not having an ATM machine in the reception area so that guest could add money to their cards in case they didn't post enough. That's what the couple in the show I was just watching wanted. They actually wanted and RENTED an ATM so that their guest could add money. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Not that I know what is going through their mind but it would seem that if you are renting an ATM for your reception, the focus may have slipped along the way.

But that's just my humble opinion.

16 comments:

  1. An ATM at a wedding reception!? That is so tacky! Ack! But it gives me a good chuckle to think about someone doing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we spent less than 5K and that included the honeymoon. I had everything I needed at the wedding. Wouldn't it cost more to rent an ATM than what you are going to end up getting in gifts???I don't know, I wouldn't have done it and I agree with Mary, that is tacky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the point of the ATM? Tackiness?
    We had a nice, simple, cheap wedding and it was great. There wasn't a dry eye in the house when we said our vows... even our boss was teary-eyed.
    I can't imaging spending a ton of money on one day... use it as a down-payment on a house! I hope my children ... some day waaaay in the future... have enough common sense to pay more attention to the marriage than the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ATM machine is so silly. Did it wear a big white bow with a veil?

    I think it would be fun to live close to my sisters (Mary) and have a big wedding planning business. Fun!

    ps - It does seem like he's gone all the time, and I'm only reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies tacky doesn't begin to describe it. And Wendy, yes the ATM did wear big white taffita bows! Could you imagine walking into a reception and seeing that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh! An ATM machine at the reception? I agree w/ the first commenter - tacky! For us, the focus was the two of us, God & our commitment. I think people forget that the wedding is a day but the marriage is what lasts a lifetime & you can't buy that. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you. We also had a simple wedding (i.e. on the cheap). I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a single day when the focus should be on what happens after that day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can we say *greedy, selfish, little (bleeped)*?

    Speaking of tacky weddings, did you see this:

    http://www.anorak.co.uk/strange-but-true/179169.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my place, I will be checking in on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An ATM at your wedding? How tacky! That's just selfish and awful!

    Wonder if that couple is divorced yet? :P

    (I'm so mean!)

    Enjoy your girly TV! It is one of the few perks to having a husband who's gone half the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok.. an ATM at a reception is just Someone who is trying to make the money back not actually wanting their friends to enjoy themselves. Hub and I had a lo-key wedding... so lo key it was just the two of us and a judge who married us on his lunchbreak. Actually, there may have been a ATM machine in the lobby of the office building. Does that count?lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder...did people actually use the ATM? There is no way I would walk into a wedding and be like, "Oh, an ATM! Great! I really didn't think my check in the card was enough and now I can simply take more out and hand it to the bride and groom when they thank me for being a paying guest at their wedding." Eww!

    My hub can't stand those shows either, but I'm a total addict. I usually record them and then spend the entire drill weekend watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness. That is the craziest thing. I think if I saw an ATM at a wedding reception, I would turn around (with my gift) and walk back out. When DH and I got married, we were able to 'splurge' on some things thanks to a very well timed military separation check I got. But I even opted for silk flowers because I couldn't see spending the same amount (or more) on something that was going to die and that I'm allergic to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oops, I guess I should call the ATM rental place and tell them it wasn't a good idea after all...

    ...just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I personally thing that having the Wedding ATM is a great idea. You just don't take money out of it and hand it to the bride and groom - get real. The amount of money that you give them goes right into their account the next day - the machine prints out a slip that congratulates them and you sign it, just letting them know that you gave them money for their honeymoon, house or whatever they may use it for.
    No difference then putting a check or cash in a card and leaving it on a table with the rest of the gifts. Times are changing and trust me the wedding ATM's will be hitting the USA in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with annonymous there. Alot of ppl are already older and living together when they get married nowdays so they are stuck with two of everything already. What is the point of registering and getting even more stuff and then face the embarrassment of them coming over and asking to see their gift and you've either returned it or it's in the back of your closet. ALso if you are having a cash bar, you don't have ppl going somewhere else if they run out of money for drinks.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.