Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers

Flyboy issued an edict sometime last year, less beef. It hurt me right in the heart, because around these parts, we *puffy heart* beef.

But I rose to the occassion, I jumped full speed on the ground turkey bandwagon and now I don't ever want to get off. He likes it because its healthier, I like it because it's cheaper. A lot cheaper.

When we buy ground beef I like it to be as lean as possible, 93% lean meat is pricey, even at the commissary, around here about $4 a pound but I can buy a pound of ground turkey at 93% lean for just under 2 dollars. Easy choice.

And in my quest to stretch the budget and to help our health I've added some other fillers to the meat, mainly spinach and mushrooms. Your liable to find those in a lot of meals around here, meatloaf, lasagna, ground turkey enchiladas, you name it I've snuck it in.

That's what lead to this gem.

Ground turkey burgers. But these are not just any regular turkey burger. They are chocked full of spinach, mushrooms, onions and another fave around here.... FETA!

{In fact we *puffy heart* feta so much we buy it in a giant tub at S*m's Club.}

These things are amazingly good, I shared the recipe with Erin and she said I should blog it for the rest of you. Actually her mom did. Here goes:

Start with
@4 cups of chopped fresh spinach {you need to chop it up on the fine side, big chunks don't work so well in burgers}
@2 cups of chopped mushrooms {same goes here, chop on the fine side}
1 medium onion, chopped

Saute the spinach, mushrooms, and onions in a big sauce pan. You can add a little bit of olive oil if you like, but its not really necessary especially as the spinach wilts. I figure why add it, save the calories.

Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

When the veggies have wilted down and are tender remove from the heat and allow them to cool off.

Depending on how much liquid there is sometimes I'll drain off just a bit, some liquid is nice because it makes the burgers moister, too much can make them fall apart so be careful.

Mix the veggie mix and the ground turkey {93% lean} well with your hands.

Add about a cup of feta. {If you really like feta you can add an extra 1/2 cup, I wont tell anyone}

Mix well.

Add about 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs to the mixture.

{I use Italian seasoned ones cause that's what I have}

Mix it well.

Form into patties, I make mine about the size of my palm and I usually get anywhere from six to nine patties.

If it's grilling season we toss them on the grill {make sure to spray your grill with grilling PAM first} if it's not I just toss them in the oven on broil. I wish I could tell you how long but I've never really paid attention. About 5-7 minutes on each side. Cut one open to double check.

If you want to put cheese on it, swiss is yummy but with the feta in there you don't really need any. Flyboy likes his on a hamburger bun but I actually like mine on an english muffin {more specifically the light english muffins with like 8 grams of fiber in them}.

If you have any questions let me know! This recipe is a lot easier then it may seem, I can't help it, I'm just too wordy.

If you like these, you'd love the enchiladas....

13 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great turkey burger recipe. I'm a big fan of feta, too! I like using turkey for mini meatloaves too. Ground pork is a good "filler" as you put it, too. I like to combine meats sometimes for things like burgers and meatballs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm! That sounds really good. You have actually made me finally want to give ground turkey a shot. I've kind of wanted to, but no recipe has actually given me the push until now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound great, we might have to try them this week! I love feta, can eat almost anything in the world, but swiss cheese? Seriously? Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be writing this one down. It sounds great and I am a feta fiend so this is right up my alley!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! We've been subbing ground turkey for beef for the past two years and do not miss the ground beef one bit! This recipe sounds great! Thanks! I post my Italian Turkey Meatloaf recipe for Tasty Tuesday blog entry this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...sounds delicious, I'll have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy! We're big fans of feta, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am making this one! This has all my favorite things in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband will NOT eat this (he has some lame aversion to mushrooms), but it sounds delicious to me! I'll just have lots of leftovers for me and the girls. OR I could make his patty mushroom free I suppose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We got into turkey as a ground beef substitute, too. I wish I could use mushrooms! I *love* them but SoldierMan doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds awesome. I might skip on the shrooms, though. I suspect the burgers will be just as great without them.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds delicious!! I'm not a burger maker myself (like to eat em though!), but hubby looooves to make burgers. We'll have to try this one when he's home this summer :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.