Friday, March 5, 2010

Handy kitchen tip

Just a quick tip to share, I know I've read this some place that I can't remember as I sit here typing, but I rediscovered it two weeks ago by accident.

We have a little shelf over our sink, I had some baking soda sitting up there from the boys baking soda submarines, I had a nasty pan sitting in the sink from our stuffed shell dinner the night before. The baking soda fell in and a fair amount fell out. I, in my infinite laziness, picked up the box but didn't bother to rinse out the pan yet.

When I went to make dinner that night, I went to scrub the pan and found that the part in which the baking soda had been soaking came clean with barely any effort.

So, if you have a nasty pan from baking or if you burned something in your saute pan {perhaps because you had two little boys fighting with chairs while in their underpants.... or... perhaps not} sprinkle in baking soda and enough water to make a paste. Allow it to sit for a bit and then use the baking soda to scrub away the nastiness.

There ya go, a useful tip from my kitchen. Go forth and clean easier now.

10 comments:

  1. ooo..this is exciting!
    I love how you found this out as well :) You crack me up.
    I shall add this to my mental cleaning awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely adding this to my bag of tricks! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd heard that tip before, believe it or not.

    And vodka works too, I hear.

    Frankly, if two little boys were fighting with chairs in their underwear I'd be reaching for the vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! I have never heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great to know. Thanks for sharing this.
    I have one...If you want to clean coffee or tea stains off your cups use table salt and a little water. Scrub away and they are squeaky clean.

    Your blog is awesome! ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use baking soda for so many things. I always keep a dish of it in my microwave and refrigerator to keep out smells. It seriously is the best for getting rid of smells.

    Oh another use for salt and water cleaning... if you get food stains down in little cracks from knives like on counters or cutting boards... just sprinkle a little salt and scrub with a damp towel and its like a magic eraser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tip!!


    I'm going to be in the area for a few days! E is going TDY to WP for a few days to do a brief and the dogs and I are tagging along so I can see my mom for a day (Tue) and just hang out in the area. We'll be getting in tomorrow night and leaving Wed afternoon. Let me know if you maybe want to try to meet up! I should have internet at the hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share a link to this blog post on one of my blogs! Hope you don't mind!

    http://navymomthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/03/bonus-tuesday-tip.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also...

    Baking soda + vinegar = great cleaning recipe for super crusty stains on stove, and also in pots/pans that are extra gross. It bubbles up like a science experiment.

    Baking soda + shampoo = REALLY clean, soft hair. I do this at least once a week. It clears out all the product gunk towards the roots of your hair and I always get compliments that day about how nice my hair looks. I take a little cup in the shower with me with about 1 tablespoon of baking soda and put my shampoo into the cup, swirl around, and dump on my head. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, obviously, lather up the shampoo. Don't stop at just dumping on your head, haha.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.