Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My irrational fear

I have a fear that not many know about. This one is even new to flyboy I'm sure. I'm afraid of my trunk spontaneously opening while I'm driving.

As I was going to pick up dash-1 yesterday I saw it happen. Someones trunk popped open while they were driving. Yikes. It was at least a car with a self contained trunk, you know the car kind with the "edge" around it. I have a SUV, my trunk opens while I'm heading down the road and I gotta a ton of crap that's going to fly out.

I know what flyboy is thinking as he reads this, "dear if your that concerned, clear all the crap out of your trunk, so that if indeed your fear is realized your embarrassment will be limited."

And I've thought about that. Emphasis on thought about rather then acting on, but it is a plan to take into consideration.

But then again its not like I'm dragging around stuff I don't need. The little potty for times when you just cant make it to a big one and when public peeing just isn't appropriate, a spare change of clothes, a blanket for the winter, the little stroller, various other odds and ends. Nothing I care to see dragging behind me as I fly down the road at 55 mph.

I don't know where this fear came from. I've never had a close call. Well flyboy's hood did pop up while he was driving home from work when we were first married, cracking his windshield and taking out a mailbox that he swerved into. Luckily he was fine but perhaps that has something to do with it.

For now I'm managing my fear. I just make sure I really slam the trunk shut. I mean REALLY slam it. Especially when there are groceries in it. I haven't figured out what I'm supposed to do if all my groceries fall out of the back while I'm making it around the itty bitty two lane glorified goat trail over the mountain on the way home from the commissary. There is no where to pull over, do you just keep driving, do you try to pick them up and risk getting flattened? What's a girl to do?!

But I have stopped short of buying a wide array of bungee cords to wrap around my car. That might just be too much. Even for me. However I am keeping my options open.

20 comments:

  1. My irrational fear: getting stuck in clothes when trying them on in a dressing room.

    We all have one. You are not alone.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could tow a small cart trailer behind you. Then if the hatch flies open, all the stuff will fall into the cart and you can continue down the road, problem-free.

    I'll be quiet now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have incredibly bizarre and irrational fears as well. Among them: getting my fingers chopped up in the garbage disposal, getting my arm slammed shut in the oven, losing my fingertips in our paper shredder.

    We all have 'em :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, irrational fears. I fear that I am going to get in a really bad car accident on the interstate I drive on everyday. Oh yeah, and I am scared to take the dogs out at night because I think a coyote is going to attack me.

    I also share dar's fear of having my arm slammed in a hot oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should mention that fear... I'm afraid the car door will come flying open when we're on the highway so I never, EVER touch the door. Unless we're going around a sharp corner and then I might hold the handle to, you know, make sure it doesn't come flying open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can honestly say that i have never thought of this...

    but now i join you in your irrational fear. seriously it would flip me out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha - I had scenes from the movie "Tommy Boy" flashing through my brain as I read this. TOO funny.

    We all have irrational fears. When I feel secure enough to share mine with the known public, I will... but that seems to still be a ways off! You're an inspiration to us all. ;-)

    PS: I think I'd wet myself out of sheer panic if this ever happened to me, and my SUV is "stuff" free, thanks to my lack of children, at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay okay - so since almost everyone else shared one: I carefully (from a GREAT distance) inspect EVERY spider before I smash them... this is a HUGE deal because I am HORRIFIED... intensely HORRIFIED of spiders. But my irrational fear? That when I smash it, little tiny under-developed spiders will run amuk all over my house, and worst of all... all of ME!! I'm TERRIFIED!!! Is that insane, or what?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off I just have to laugh at the itty bitty goat trail! LOL! Are you talking about the upper itty bitty goat trail- or the lower one down by the river? The lower one is even worse for finding room to pull over!

    As for a fear? I zoom by the semi trucks in fear their tires are gunna blow out when I drive by them. Or whenever it storms I fear a tornado is on it's way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ME TOO! No joke - I ALWAYS look in the toilet before I sit down (not that enjoy the look of toilets, or anything... but to make sure there's nothing in there waiting to bite me!) JUST to be sure. You can never be too careful, my dear!!

    The only thing worse than spiders: Sprickets! Have you ever seen those things? Oh my GOSH!! I almost pass OUT!!! I feel like they'll jump at me and eat my face off. Ridiculous, I know, but one can never be too sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. doesn't your car have a back-hatch light? in my car, if the trunk or any doors are not secured, a light comes on to let me know.

    you should get a light like that :).

    have i mentioned my irrational fear of vomit? i can't remember.... :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm more afraid of the hood flying up in my face...that would be worrisome. I worry that the innards of my car will just dump out in the middle of the street, you know the engine, tranny, etc. Or that one or all of the wheels will go spinning off in all directions while I go driving down the road. So I turn the music up really loud and sing along so I don't have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had the glass part of my SUV trunk fly up before. Granted, I was only going about 15 mph at the time, but it wasn't nearly as terrifying as I imagined it might be.

    Hopefully you can sleep a bit sounder tonight....

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it happens, I vote for keeping on driving like you know nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have an irrational fear that the cat will eat fertilizer when we go out of town and we don't even have houseplants. Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I'm embarrased to admit my irrational fear, but here goes...I'm afraid of mirrors when it's dark because I'm afraid that if I even think "Bloody Mary" she's going to appear in the mirror. I avoid mirrors at all costs in the dark and if I make a concentrated effort to think about ANYTHING other than "Bloody Mary." I'm 27 and I'm afraid of a children's old wives' tale.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My irrational fear is getting my hand stuck in the garbage disposal and someone turns it on. Maybe I have watched too many horror movies?

    ReplyDelete
  18. All I can do is giggle at this blog. And then I giggle some more when I think of Flyboy's reaction to this fear! We all have those fears and you call call them weird, but it's what makes people interesting. I have a HUGE fear that a skunk will jump out of my bushes at night and spray me. Like when I am coming home late at night. You should see it, I run so fast to the porch and into the house. It's got to be funny to the observor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm...and you laughed so loud when I told you about mine. Well, well, well...it is very frustrating to deal with an irrational fear especially one with no valid explanation for popping into your life, as yours appears to be. I sympathize with you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My van has an automatic gate on the back. It didn't latch once & flew open while in the middle of a 4-way intersection, and my stroller fell out in the middle of it. I did what every sane mother w/ a two-year-old who was 10 1/2 months pregnant w/ her second would do. I popped that sucker in park, got out & picked up my stroller. What. was. I. thinking? Don't know. Anyway, this probably doesn't help your fear, huh?

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.