Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Silver lining of yuckies

There have been moments this summer that I have felt like I was drowning. And I don't mean the pool, I've spent most of my water moments in the baby pool.

At various moments in the past month or two I've sat in still amazement and wondered why things keep coming at me. I'm not proud to admit that I've had my little why me moments.

First the oral surgery, then the singulair, the bladder infection which is leading to a bunch of test, horrific sleep patterns that may or may not be related to said bladder/kidney issues, and as this post is going up I'm sitting with dash-1 at Children's Hospital while he has stomach surgery.

Really?

Come on!

I just want a few weeks of peace and quiet. Or make that relative peace and quiet, I do have three boys, something is always breaking around here.

But then I remember, we are lucky. We are very lucky.

All in all we have our health, my babies aren't being treated for cancer or some other awful childhood disease.

We have our happiness, even on days with yelling there are smiles and laughter.

We have love.

We have each other, while I sit in many waiting rooms alone, today I don't have to, today I have my love by my side to lean on.

Sounds very cheesy and hokey but if military life has taught me nothing else it's taught me not to take the little things for granted.

And I think we can all appreciate that these things really aren't little things.

In a time when so many are giving so much, sons, daughters, wives, husbands, mothers, and fathers, all are giving the ultimate sacrifice, what's a little period of rain in the grand scheme of things?

Something tells me that they would give anything to have any of these life stresses back rather then the dark emptiness that they are facing.

So we face the yuckies. All in all, we are happy. And lucky. Damn lucky.

9 comments:

  1. I woke up this morning and thought about you and Dash 1. I hope his surgery goes well and I am so glad you husband is home for this surgery.

    I had those why me moments when we were going through all of Landon's developmental delays and no one wanted to help. Then we were going to therapy 3x a week and I was doing it all by myself on top of all of the allergy and dermatology appts. Then you stop and think that he doesn't have cancer and it doesn't seem to matter any more.

    Yes, we are VERY DAMN LUCKY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your optimism. It's just what I needed today. I'm usually a "look on the brightside" kind of gal, but getting settled in a foreign country can sap the sunshine right out of you. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Great reminder to count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we are damn lucky! I hope dash's surgery goes smoothly today. Sending prayers and thoughts your way.

    Great post, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminds me of something James Bond said to me as we left our base hospital after having to take the Wee One in for an urgent care appointment. We came out and there was this little boy walking with his grandmother and mother (I'm assuming) and he had a tracheotomy and was wheeling an oxygen tank behind him. James Bond pointed him out to me and said "the next time you get upset about the Wee One's crazy behavior count your lucky stars that we have a child who can act like that." He is so right, because damn we are lucky that he is home with us, and that I have two kids who can run around like crazy people.

    Good luck with Dash's stomach surgery, and everything else that is going on! I will be thinking about you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a few "man this sucks; oh, wait, I'm glad we have it so good," moments, so what you're saying makes sense. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the surgery goes good! Thanks so much for the reminder to not take life for granted :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i miss reading your blog! i'm sorry i dropped out of the blogosphere.

    i hope all your little dashes are okay now!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.