Monday, April 6, 2009

My drive for a deal has come to this

I wrote a post back in August about buying a camera. I knew exactly which one I wanted, in all the searching I wasn't looking for the best camera, I was looking for the best price. I went in circles and made myself crazy and dragged my feet at the money.

Well I did it again. And this time I am feeling shame for what it was. Nothing frilly or something that you could brush off as something unnecessary.

No it was an allergy alert bracelet for dash-1. Yes, I am THAT BAD. I am hanging my head in shame over here. What mother puts off buying that?

Of course, what mom then goes on to blog about it, but that's neither here nor there....

To my defense, he's four, he's not really striking it out in the big bad world by himself, I was buying it for vacation in case he got lost in Disney. I have some time. But still, that's a weak defense I know.

I am spilling all this tonight because I was finally going to take the plunge and buy it. I found him the perfect one, it wasn't girly or sissy and it had a super cool strap that he picked out. I filled out the order and since I've spilled this much, I did kind of hiccup at the price and couldn't figure out the exchange rate stuff (its from a small company in Australia or New Zealand, somewhere out in that part of some ocean) so I put it off.

Again to recap, I put off ordering my son's allergy bracelet. Oh God, I can hear child services coming.

And then I started the searching around to make sure I was getting the best price. And now I can't find the original. I can't believe I forgot to save the link. Or remember the store name. DOH!

So I felt that I should share this with all of you, while simultaneously searching the Internet high and low for this bracelet. Should anyone from the Mother of the Year award committee be reading this email me so I can send you my address. You know for the big award and all.

*Update* Thanks for those of you who had suggestions of where to look. In my searching last night I found the bracelet and a US company that sells it. Now I just have to figure out the wording.... severe allergy to peanuts/eggs or anaphylaxis reaction to eggs/peanuts? Is anaphylaxis a common enough term? I'm starting to think I just make things difficult....

16 comments:

  1. Your not a bad mom. my sister is allergic to pennicil and she is 27 and still doesnt have a braclet. I remember hearing conversations about them over and over again but no one did anything about it. Was it the one you showed me?? I hope you find it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you try going back into your internet history from today? Hope you're able to find it!


    Remember like a year ago I wrote a post about wanting a DSLR? And you wanted me to let you know what I decided on? Yup, a year later and I'm still undecided on which one I want. Do I want to go for cheaper so I can buy nicer lens? Do I want this brand or this brand or this one that is so small but not which most people go with. Yup, still debating a year later- but the hubby and I said by May the latest I need to make my decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u r sooo not a bad mom. i would totally be doing the same thing! although i never hesitate at dropping a hundred dollars at target!

    sending you magic internet powers to find the long lost bracelet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie I have a canon xt not sure if its exactly what you want but I love mine its the best camera i have ever had

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like a wonderful mom! Gosh I didn't even know about those things...Yeah check your internet history from today, like Katie said, and that should bring you to the page:)Don't beat yourself up, at least your doing it now, better late then never!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah, I do stuff like that too and it always bites me in the butt. I hate being a tightwad sometimes hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bracelet for my allergies to amoxicillin/penicillin, but I rarely wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my advice is to look the search history on your computer also. Hopefully it will be there somewhere. If not, you can always try to remember what you typed in to find it and maybe you'll be able to tell by which links have already been looked at or something.

    I don't think you are a bad mother regarding this bracelet thing. Granted, it will be good for him to have, but at this point, how often is he away from you and around people who are completely unaware of his allergy? It'll be easier to get him to wear it if it's a "cool" one, so I can understand why it has taken this long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.kiwikidswithallergies.co.nz

    I'm there to help, even if I'm not actually there. Would you like me to order it dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're not a bad mom! My goodness I didn't even think about a bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this website that has ones you can pick our your own straps Star Allergy Alerts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Umm... is it this one?: http://tinyurl.com/cxuh2c

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would recognize "anaphylaxis" if I saw it. (I'd never be able to write it myself without spell check, but that's another story)

    I don't see any problem with searching around for the best deal. I'm kinda the same way. I've been called cheap. I say if cheap = debt free I'm all for it! ;) In fact, I was so wishy washy about which camera I wanted a year ago my husband finally got fed up bought one for me, and I promptly sent it back for a lesser model when I saw how much it was...Why should allergy bracelets be any different? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cracks me up. I am the same way, if it makes you feel any better (and it won't). :D

    When my son was about 1 or 2 we had moved to the DC area (Waldorf, stationed at Andrews) and some old codger came up to me in the commissary while I was in line checking out and my son was sitting on the bench they used to have for the baggers. He told me that people steal babies as beautiful as mine. Well I had a heart attack right there in the checkout line. I went right out and bought an ID bracelet for him to wear that had our names and phone number on it. It was too large for his tiny little wrist, so we had to tie a knot in the chain so it wouldn't fall off. He wore it the entire time we lived in DC. It seems silly now looking back on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That so sounds like something I would do. I'm always on a hunt for a deal - it's gotta be cheaper somewhere, right? ;) AS for the wording, I would put "severe allergy." I'm familiar with "anaphylaxis" but only because of my own allergies and need for an epi-pen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Ann

    http://externallaptop.net

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.