Friday, July 10, 2009

This about sums it up.

I was at the park two weeks ago with the boys. It was a playdate for dash-1 with a school buddy and something mildly awkward but yet oh so clearly representative of how I feel in the whole mommy clique thing happened.

I stood over near a bench talking with his friends mom (I'll call her mom1). Another mom from school (I'll call her mom2) showed up and came over to us.

Mom2 "The park is so busy today!" then she turns to me and says "Oh are you in the mom's club?"

I look at her in confusion. But then again this pretty much sums up motherhood and I.

me "Ummm, mom's club?"

Mom1 looking a little caught in the headlights as well "Oh well its nothing, just a group of moms who organize playdates and park meetups."

Mom2 "I just assumed since you were here with Mom1 you were in the group."

Again, look of confusion on my face and I look at mom1.

Mom1 "Oh I'm kinda the president."

and then mom2 has to again clarify, "So your not in the mom's club?".

No. No I am clearly not in the mom's club. sigh. Nor will I probably ever be.

And I should say, to mom1 and 2's defense, both are very lovely people, not obnoxious alpha moms or anything. I just thought the whole thing was funny give how I feel like mommyhood can often feel as cliquish as high school. Everyone searching for a group to belong too. Mom1 even said that despite being the president she doesn't often do much with the group, life with kids is busy enough.

Of course I couldn't help but feel that she was saying that to make me feel better.

18 comments:

  1. i say they're childish b*tch*s!( lovely ladies or not) She was totally saving face. ugh. thats why i dont really bother. if your not a friend of mine, your child will not be playing with yours on playdates.LOL. who needs mommy groups anyways???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. She totally got busted and then tried to cover it up. What a jerk. I saw good riddance. I would steer clear of these high schoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's rather funny. Perhaps you're not in "the mom club" because you are THE MOM.

    People rarely take competition well when they know they'll fail.

    You've openned my eyes. I thought that kind of status one up man ship didn't happen between parents unless organized sports were involved. Or IQ tests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. for real? a "mom club"? are people really that hard up to relive their high school days that they feel the need to start a club in order to set up playdates? really? soudns a little needy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hear ya on the cliquey part...i'm not a mom yet (we've tried for 4 years, thinking adoption) and as the people around me have families, i've been cast aside from the "group" because i'm not a mom. one of them even told me when i asked why i didn't know about a dinner at someone's house is that it's because i'm not a mom. ::sigh:: guess they're not real friends?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't need a "mom's club" for your children to have fun and have playdates. That sounds really obnoxious. You're too cool for that anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. Can we say high school? You are in another mom's club, and it's called- The Mom's Club That Doesn't Suck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. She def. was trying to cover that up. And seriously who has a mom's club? Quick sign me up now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh good lord... Seriously? Yet another scary thing about motherhood, as if being responsible for taking care of another human being wasn't intimidating enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the moms club they couldnt think of anything better to call it. And why wouldnt she invite you to join her moms club thats the rudest part.

    Becky thats so rude you didnt get invited over bc you dont have kids. A lot of my friends dont have kids and we hang out just as much. I actually invited my neighbor who doesnt have kids to come hang out at the park the other day. she has become like my nanny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW I am speechless... what weird women...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post sums up why I haven't met many "Moms" I want to hang out with at our current location.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh whatever. I'm not in the mom's club either, so you can bring the Dash kids over and we can potty train, have them play in dirt, and talk about poop. :) And I know we are far cooler moms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What the hell? That is freaking ridiculous! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha ha..wow..It does sound like high school. Who cares though seriously? I am pretty sure the "mom's club" would be really lame and you are way cooler than that :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That would have really, really made me feel awful. Now, I have belonged to a playgroup before that was largely organized online, and it was a big group so that when you were in a public place moms did tend to ask if you were there with the group simply because you didn't know who was who. However, they were very quick to invite anyone to join in, it was not exclusive at all. But for Mom1 to dodge the question and act like that? That's just rude.

    I don't think I would fit in well at that school, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you really need a whole club to organize playdates and park meetups? Well crap! I'm so not up on all this mom stuff. I thought I would just pick up the phone and say, "Hey. Wanna meet up?" I didn't realize I needed a group vote.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is it weird that my reaction to "I'm the President of the Mom's Club" would have been: "oh, were you elected or is it more of a dictator-turned-president-facade-ala-Iraq-circa-1990s"? And totally would have wanted to turn to mom2 and say, "and here I was thinking the first rule about mom club is you don't talk about mom club."

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.