Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Three years ago yesterday I was lucky enough to become a mommy. We didn't have any idea what we were about to embark on. Parenthood has been more then we expected, more work, more stress, more gut wrenching, but much more importantly its been more joy, more smiles, more love, more kisses, more hugs, more of all the good stuff we could only imagine.



Dash-1 was a beautiful baby. He had wispy blonde hair, giant blue eyes, a huge perfectly round head, and delicate pale Irish skin. He was a definate keeper. He was also a "tester". He had colic and severe reflux and would cry for hours and hours his first year of life. He slept in hour long snippets and it wasnt until he was 13 months that he slept thru the night or really took a nap. But he was then like he is now, a people person. Take him around people and he would turn on the charm. Smile, coo, blow kisses.... anything for a smile back.

Three years ago.... where has the time gone? Now my baby isnt a baby.

He's a little boy. He likes to pick his nose and wipe it on me, he loves a good fart joke, he likes to put on "aftershave" so he smells like daddy. Sigh. Such a little man. My little man, my social butterfly. Sometimes when I peak in on him at night I see that newborn face, I see his chest rise and fall and I remember when, just for sleeps sake, I would hold him on the couch all night, his warm little breath on my neck. I enjoyed the baby days, but its so exciting to watch them grow up and develop into spirited little ones. Its been such a gift to get to watch Dash-1 grow and explore and develop.

Happy birthday my sweet! Your first three years have been breath takingly amazing, I cant wait to see what the next many have in store for you.

12 comments:

  1. I suggest you print this and put it in his baby book, when he gets older he will love reading about his third birthday. Happy being a mother day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Dash-1! Stonewall and I have decided to wait and have kids, but when I read these types of posts I don't want to wait any more. I'm so scared to be a mom, but I'm also looking forward to it more than anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first had reflux, too - those were some rough days. But it was so worth it! Mine is three now, too - I have so many mixed feelings about him growing up. I miss those baby days holding him, even when he couldn't sleep, but it's so much fun to have him doing new things, discovering his world. Reading this makes me think of how I feel about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy date of birth to dash-1!
    I have a bunch of stuff I have picked up here and there for the past month but I didn't want to mail it in fear of it ending up burried under a snow pile for two weeks. May sound silly to you but when time, money and thoughtfulness are going to waste I tend to reevaluate :) I'll just save it until you venture back this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bitter betty I most certainly understand and agree. I just got a package left today on the porch, I cant for the life of me understand why in a 12 in snow storm they would have put the package right where the plow puts the snow!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, what a cutie!

    Happy birthday, Dash-1!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so sweet. It brought tears to my eyes - I love that image of your little guy snuggled up with you on the couch!

    3 years old is so fun! Happy Birthday Dash 1~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to a sweet guy. What a wonderful tribute to your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet birthday tribute to your little boy, it brought tears to my eyes! It is a bitter sweet thing watching them grow up.

    Colic is tough, our first had it too. Now looking back he was the hardest baby, but the easiest at everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is so cute! They always look so peaceful when they are sleeping huh? Happy birthday to him!!

    Very moving words, Trying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Dash- 1. So adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.