Sunday, February 24, 2008

Pacifier Rehab

Is there a 12 step program for pacifiers and their obvious addiction? If there where I'm not sure who would need it more... me or Dash-2. Dash-1 had a pacy and used it until 6 months when it just went away. I always said that I didn't want a child dependent on it. Yeah well... then can number two and there went hubs off around the world so you know what the pacy became a lifesaver. Dash-2 is so content with it. I didn't have the heart to take it away that and the few minutes of peace in the car it gave me were sanity savers.

Well no more. It's a huge bone of contention in our household. Flyboy hates it. Despises it. It's not even like Dash-2 walks around with it during the day, he can have it at nap time and in the car, but even still flyboy is always yanking it out saying "he does need this thing". So much so that now Dash-1 is saying it. sigh. So I'm taking the plunge starting today. It will be my gift to flyboy that when he returns his son will be pacy-less.

I tried putting him down for nap time without it. He screamed for twenty minutes so I compromised and gave him the pacy with the tip cut off so there isn't any suction. I heard that after a while they just give up and toss the thing aside. I'm hoping that works. I'm only 9 months overdue taking that stupid thing away. Its now or never folks, wish the boy and I luck!

**Update**

bedtime was ugly, very ugly. Poor little boy had his nubby broken pacifier and still cried for 45 minutes. He was so upset that he couldn't calm down, so we rocked for a little while. The silver lining I suppose was that I got to hold my sleeping little one for a bit. This pacy thing may just take the remainder of my sanity.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck! I didn't have any pacifier babes, but I did have a thumb sucker...Aaaaa! she was 5 before she quit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. you are awesome. i just read your note to me. thanks for coming back. blessings, kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. and about the paci -- stay strong woman. you will get through this and he will stop screaming and tire of it but probably not today dear :)

    thank you for your sweet note, kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish you good luck! Mine are thumbsuckers, despite all my efforts to get them to take a pacifier. The oldest gave it up at 6 months to take to his thumb, and the younger one lasted about 3 months. Sigh. I can't take the thumb away... At least the three year old is phasing out the thumb, and he doesn't walk around sucking it. It's only at night or naptime, and sometimes when he's watching tv with his blanket. It does drive my husband crazy, though, so I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Punkin never used a pacifier, so I have no advice for you on there. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to get my almost 2 year old off the bottle. *bad mommy*

    It is so terrible when they get upset. He cries and I cry! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boy was attached to his pacifier too. I tried cutting the nipple part off. It didn't work. Then I took the suggestion of my step mom. She told me to blame the fact of the pacifier's disappearance on "someone else". So after church, he asked me where it was and told him the church ladies thought it was another baby's and gave it to the baby. He soon adjusted. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck!! I know nothing about motherhood so thats all I can offer lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, I remember this. I didn't take my son's "binky" away until way late, he was well over a year old. He had colic--what can I say--I did whatever worked to stop the screaming and start the sleeping. We conveniently left it at his Aunties house which was 45 minutes away (we didn't really, I made it disappear and still have it today). It did take about a week to get over the loss as I remember. How is it going?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How old is he? Because Nathan still has his and he's ::clears throat:: almost 3! (I know! It's horrible!)

    What worked with Dillon when the time came was the "binky fairy". We had him leave one paci a night out on the windowsill and in the morning there would be a gift from the fairy. We had a whole complicated tale that went along with it too. there were a few tears but it did the trick!

    I mentioned the fairy to Nathan just this afternoon and guess what he said? "I already got presents" :X Well then...This one's going to be a challenge....

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.