Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful thoughts

In dash 1's class they were asked what they were thankful for and the answers went home in the weekly newsletter.  I will admit I saw it and cringed for a second thinking about what my son might have said {dash 2 told me once he was thankful for his p*nis, you see why I might have been nervous}. 

I scanned down the page and there near the bottom was dash 1's response "I'm thankful for everything God gives us.  And daddy."  Whew.  Ok so I apparently didn't make the top of his list but its all cool, at least he pulled thru with a kick ass appropriate answer. 

But here's the thing, the kid is right.  As I sit down to right this post, he summed it all up nicely, I'm thankful for everything God has given us, even though its not the end of the year, it is drawing down and we've had another year of blessings.

I'm thankful for my husband, coming and going as he does, high strung as he is about cleaning, nit picky about things like not letting marbles get stuck in the seat of my car, he's my rock. 

I'm thankful for my kids, much as they drive me crazy, to see the world thru their eyes and watch them grow into little people with personalities {versus the house cat like being you bring home from the hospital} is something I try not to take for granted. 

I'm thankful for my family, for my parents, the ones who pull my arse from the burning fire when I'm stuck in a spot I cant seem to get out of and need some coverage {aka babysitting}.  My sister, who might drive me nuts from time to time but spoils the boyos and for whom they always come first.  My brother and sister in law to be, who thanks to their wedding we will have an escape from the cold down to GA come March, and quite frankly I'm just thankful that he's marrying someone normal, honestly, he's marrying quite up.

I'm thankful that I reconnected with some cousins this year, someone to trade recipes with, {hopefully} see more when I come to town, and remember that not all extended family is crazy and avoiding me.

I'm thankful for my in laws, not only did they raise an amazing son, but they understood that making the drive out there this year just wasn't in the cards. And I'm thankful that my mother in law understands all the quirks of my husband and feels for me.  And that we can team up on him when she comes to town.

My other thanks:
-Getting 3 PBS channels and something like 10 cartoon channels.  My heart swells when I think of this.  Really.

-School. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, had I known it was so glorious I would have tried enrolling him years ago for Kindergarten.

-Twitter and my blackberry.  {insert angels singing} I don't even know what to say.

-My bloggy and twitter peeps, I am thankful that you all read my words and leave those of your own. {feel free to leave more}

And in closing....

After having spent my fair share of holidays with my Marine somewhere else in the world, this day can not go by without being thankful and remembering all of the men and women in our military who are away from their families. 

Trudging thru the mountains, dealing with gritty sand in their teeth, flying long days and nights, spending hour after hour on a boat, where ever they are and whatever they are doing, the important thing is that you are where you are because of them.

And with them where they are, their families are at home, their holidays a little {who are we kidding, a lot} less bright, an empty place at the table and in their heart as they wait for their family to be whole again.

I am thankful for them.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Now go eat some turkey!

6 comments:

  1. Hmm. Wonderful post.
    And hey--the stuff he was thankful for was safe. ;) Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, this thanksgiving just wasn't as fun as it was when he was home last year. And I'm so glad your son picked something other than his boy parts to be publicly thankful for haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have to say that I laughed until I cried when I read your first paragraph about what Dash 2 was thankful for and then I had to read it to Sean so he could laugh too.

    I'm thankful for you and your blog in which you make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I'm thankful for your blog! I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the cousin shout out. We are also very thankful that we have reconnected with you too!! Hope you had a great holiday weekend :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thankful for you too! Couldn't ask for a better family to marry into, and that miiiiight be because mine is so crazy, but I think it's more because you and the rest of the fam are so great :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.