Sunday, November 21, 2010

the christmas card photo that never was

I did something that, going into it, I could have told you how it would have ended. What's that you ask....Christmas card photo time.

I'm thinking this year of just going with a picture of the boys.  One it will be easier and two I don't care to listen to flyboy bitch and moan about taking a picture and mailing it to people.  My thought is that if I don't make him be in the picture then he'll actually help, not hinder, the taking of it.

Last year he led the rebellion and things got ugly.

He's still away but for some reason I got it into my head to go march them outside and give it a whirl.

Note to self.... need an extra set of hands.

We tried some in the field, some on a fence, and some by the cows.

Note to self again..... when taking pictures with cows in the background, they WILL poop at some point. 






 Darn the sun!

 I might just put him on my Christmas cards.  He stood very nicely the whole time, except of course when he pooped.  That might be a bit much for the xmas cards.
The boyos wanted a pic of the poop since it was steaming and well, I'm happy to oblige on the little things in life.
 I had a whole plan of shots around the fence....

 You can see how well that seemed to work out for us.

So here... have a laugh or two , might as well share some joy, these are the *good* shots.

This also goes to answer the question that someone without kids might have.... how hard is it to get a group shot of kids in which they are all looking at you.... hard. 

Very, very hard indeed.

But with all that being said, I will be redoing my game plan and attacking this again in a day or two.  Just enough time to stain treat those white shirts from the grass stains they got wrestling each other.

15 comments:

  1. Aw... that last one is so pitiful. He looks like he is absolutely done being a model. Bless your heart! You definitely have your hands full. I love the field idea though! I also wish the fence ones would have worked out better... there was definitely potential!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. So funny. It shouldn't be but it is. Kids are.. well kids. Bribe them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha..how do these things only happen to you? Poop in a Christmas card....hahaha....Since you're attempting this alone, what if you took individual pictures of the boys and then got a card with space for three pictures on the front, instead of one with all three together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commend you for even trying to wrangle 3 kids into a pic!! They're so cute, it's a shame you weren't able to get the perfect shot

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is how our family pictures tend to go too. I can never quite get all three girls to look at the camera at the same time. But the pictures that came out are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the one with the sun, of course Dash-3 isn't looking at the camera. But if you'd like me to try and edit it for you I'd be happy to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to get a card with a REAL picture like this. Everyone knows having kids isn't always sunshine and rainbows and I think people would get a kick out of cards like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 6 (soon to be 7) sidekicks. I figure a good ratio is 4 of them looking at the camera and 3 of them smiling. I usually take between 35 - 50 shots to get a picture with a ratio that high.

    It is what it is.

    Helpful note: If they start getting wooly, I'll do "crazy" shots where everyone has to stick out their tongue, or turn their head sideways, or cross their eyes.... Well, you get the idea. Sometimes it loosens them up a little bit.

    One Easter, I loved my "crazy" shot so much I printed it and slapped it on the refrigerator. It's cuter than snot -- and I mean that in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA! I love the cow. You should send it out...with a caption that says, "the only member of the family that would take a nice Christmas photo- Merry Christmas!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahh oh kids! I think some of them really are really good they would make a great this is what our life is like christmas card..maybe you need to bribe them! lol good luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you should use the last one and send it out anyways.. I would LOVE to get a card with a family picture like that!
    Life if too short!
    I had friends find some "really fabulous" Christmas sweaters (UGLY, UGLY, UGLY) and went to sears for Christmas photos.. its one of the reasons I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For some reason I can't email you back the answer to your question, but I actually just made the header myself and then just color-coordinated the rest of the blog.

    And you should totally try the dumplings, they are too delicious for words. Oh and stovetop stuffing is great, I'm not hating!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not afraid, nor embarrassed by the fact that I can truly say, ALL of our family pictures around that age... involved an egg timer, a gift bag with frilly ribbons and at least one of the items peeking out the top. Usually attached to a piece of candy in some fashion. That worked great for my daughters but my sister's sons had to have a tool or something they could hit each other with... It's a good thing my middle sister was blessed with only boys and my husband and I had only girls... BRIBERY REALLY WORKS! (you just have to find the right carrot) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I say go with it-- who wants perfect smiles with no poop? Seriously, if I got a card with the expressions of that last photo, it would make my day. I'm grinning ear to ear having just seen these.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.