Monday, May 10, 2010

The quest for organization

Happy belated mother's day to all you moms out there!

I had a couple of mommy post planned for the week leading up to mother's day but well, with a trip to the allergist for dash-1, a trip back to the dr. for a weight check, PT and eating for dash-3, 2 tee ball games, mother's day projects to make and pack up for the grandmas, cupcakes and cookies to make for dash-1's mother's day party at school, and not to mention a teething and very grumpy 8 month old who has decided to go back to sleeping for two hours at a time, last week was busy.

I'm planning to get them up this week. But then again we all know what they say about planning....

Anyways, I feel like I'm running around in circles lately. That I'm constantly doing but yet nothing is getting done. Anyone else feel like that?

I can't help but feel like I need to get my shit stuff in order. In a very big way.

But the problem is.... I don't know how, or rather, I don't know where to start. I have a master calendar on the fridge, my problem more seems to be getting things done around here. There are days its tough just to get the little things done.

After all, lest we forget, I do have three kids under foot.

I certainly don't mean to use my kids as an excuse but my goodness there are some days that as much as I love the little boogers darlings, they can slow ya down.

Some days just getting the dishwasher unloaded is a major feat. The balance between entertaining/refereeing the kids, getting household stuff done some days is tough. And dare I try to squeeze in time on the treadmill, blogging, reading a book, or going to the bathroom?

I'm curious what you guys do for organization.... perhaps someone out there in a similar position has some advice or words of wisdom.

Or an escape plan.......

9 comments:

  1. Pawn them off on grandma for a weekend. Then Hire a cleaning crew to tackle the stuff you just can't get too, like the bathroom and the ceiling fans. Then make an apt. for a coffee and a day out with some GIRLS. (I don't know how you live in a house of males, I would go crazy)

    I would also recommend a good romance novel, ear plugs and a lock on the bathroom door. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have children, so I don't know if you even want any organizing suggestions from me, but I purchase a print off calendar from Motivated Moms. It's a basic checklist with a daily cleaning list. I find it to be helpful having a checklist...but there are not so many chores on it to overwhelm you. Plus, if I miss a day of cleaning, I don't worry about it, I just move on to the next day!

    You can find it at www.motivatedmoms.com. I'm pretty sure there is a coupon out there for a discount, plus you can sample a few pages so you can see what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help you...Alas, I will be coming back to read the comments people give you because I could use the same advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am childless... so I can't help you there, sorry. I know you'll get them done though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so different now....my kids are grown. When they were little, well, my advice is to do what you can to prevent the health department visit.

    Actually, I recommend a list. Instead of getting the list done in a day, give it 3. Another good source is flylady...she's got some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Trudy, flylady rocks! Also, if I break down the worst chores to a set day, it seems to help. Not that I always stick to this schedule, but I do try.
    The biggest thing I have done to help with this is to get over my OWN stumbling blocks. Fpr instance, I am picky about how clothes are folded, because they just don't fit right in the drawers if they're not folded 'right'. Consequently, I would put of folding because I knew it would take forever, and I only had, say, 5 or 10 minutes at a time to devote to this task. I finally figured out (and my kids were old enough to 'kind of' fold their own) that I can just sort the clean laundry into individual baskets, one for each family member, and THEY are responsible for getting them folded and hung up. I still fold hubby's for him, because he has even less time than I do. I'm still responsible for all of the linens, but those go fast anyway. **I do have to be careful not to try to OPEN one of the kids's dresser drawers, because I know I will blow my top if I even look.**
    Oh, and I hate hate hate doing dishes, because they are never really all done - so for a couple of years, we used paper plates and bowls, and plastic utensils and plastic cups. Closest I have ever come to keeping my kitchen 'clean'! We had to give it up because we were generating too much garbage as a family, but I sure do miss my countertops (they are still here somewhere, but it seems they are always hidden under a pile a dirty dishes!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I'm in the same boat. Paul gets home and I'm all "I got the dishwasher emptyed today!" To be honest, the best I can suggest, terrible as this is, is playpenning and doing 10 minutes at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I've awarded you "The Sunshine Award" =) Go to my blog to check it out! http://anaughtylibrarian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I'm right there with ya. And that's why my blog gets neglected now more often than I'd like. There just aren't enough hours in the day. People keep telling me this type of stuff will get easier as the kids get older. *fingers crossed* Although then we'll have all kinds of other problems to worry about: dating, the kids driving, having them slam their bedroom doors in our faces while they scream about how "unfair" we are...can't wait. At least I'll have tons of time to blog about it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.