Sunday, May 23, 2010

Handy tip for scum

If you're new I should explain something real quick, I ♥ baking soda.

We are talking borderline addiction levels here. In fact I should give it it's own tag on the old blogo. I just got this months copy of Redbook and imagine my delight when there was a baking soda quick tip in it!

{I can't help but think that somewhere along the line I've gotten dreadfully boring that I was that excited over a quick tip}

It was how to clean scum from your drains with baking soda. This is pretty handy for me, I hate using chemically drain cleaners in the house with the kiddos, especially the bathtub. Something about pouring burning chemicals and then a short time later putting your kids naked in the same general area seems a bit off to me.

-Take 1/4 cup baking soda and pour it down the drain.

-Follow with 1 cup of vinegar. Allow it to bubble and sit for five minutes {you can't see it but it's descumming}

-Pour some boiling water down the drain and you're good to go!

How simple is that? And cheap. And best of all? It worked! Really, really well and you can take my word on it. I was curious so I *might* have taken the tub drain apart a little and shoved my hand down there to check to make sure it was less scummy.

I was so impressed I did the tub, the kitchen sink, and the bathrooms. And I considered asking the neighbors if I could come over and do theirs. But I decided that would be a little weird.

Hmmmm.... reading this post paints and odd picture of me. I have a baking soda addiction, I get excited over quick tips, and I shoved my hand down the tub drain to see if scum was gone.

*sigh* An odd picture but an accurate one.

Hey have you checked out the recipe blog hop? There are some amazing recipes on there so click here and find some new blogs and some new eats. Oh and a pretty cool giveaway if I may say so. And I may. Cause it's my blog.

12 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of baking soda too! After I brush my teeth with toothpaste I dip the wet toothbrush in some baking soda {one I leave only in the bathroom for this} and brush my teeth with it. My teeth have never been so white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a coupon today for baking soda at Walgreens 2 for a dollar. After reading this post I decided you really needed to know that. I think you need the coupon in the paper, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That also works for unclogging sink drains! (Voice of experience)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you KNOW the baking soda makes the hair that's stuck all up in that drain silky smooth and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously need to do this to our bathtub and bathroom sink drain... guess I'll be buying vinegar! I have the baking soda =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good trick. Thanks for sharing!

    I read tonight that you can mix baking soda, salt and hydrogen peroxide and rinse to help with canker sores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a great tip! Awesome! My bathroom drain is really gross, but I'm too cheap to buy drain cleaner. I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for testing it, by shoving your hand down the drain, I'll take your word for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post title had me envisioning duct tape and a .45 automatic. But the drain tip was good, too. ;-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I have been needing to "de-scum" my drains but recently switched over to Melaleuca cleaning products because I want to use safer products around the house for my baby and couldn't think of anything to replace Drano with! Thank you for posting! I am totally going to use this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting excited about cleaning hacks does not make you boring. I do the same thing. :) I've read this one before but been skeptical. Glad to know it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im going to have to try that...And you painted a perfect picture of yourself LOL. Btw I'm still waiting for my back issues of Redbook ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baking soda is a miracle! It works for everything!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.