Friday, May 21, 2010

Eggless Banana Bread

Dash-1 is allergic to eggs which means that baking is slightly more challenging, however, you would never. EVER. know that this bread doesn't have eggs in it. It's delish and if you make muffins I betcha they'd be even more amazing with some cream cheese frosting on them. {I'm just sayin}

What you need:
3 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup of applesauce {I use the au natural stuff so that I don't add extra sugar but if there is cinnamon in the applesauce that's a bonus}
4tbl of melted butter or canola oil {the last batch I made I totally forgot the butter and with the exception of being a tad denser you couldn't really tell so if you could probably cut the butter in half}
1/4 tsp of vanilla {oh who are we kidding add a smidge more}

toss all of those into a large mixing bowl and mix well.

then add in your dry ingredients {which you've already mixed together right folks?}

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar

bake, either in loaf pans or muffins in a 350 degree oven {preheated of course}. Loaves tend to take 45 min and muffins 20 mins.

Some like it hot, but I like my banana bread stored in the fridge and nice and cold. But then again I'm kinda weird.

Hope everyone is having fun on the hop and making sure to visit all the new recipes and blogs!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I love my banana bread cold too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever used flax seed in place of eggs? I've been using 1 tbsp of milled flax seed and 3 tbsp of water for each egg. It makes everything really fluffy. The bonus is we can lick the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Lovely.
    dining room sets

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving you for posting this recipe!! Yeah, Landon will be so excited to have banana muffins!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing blog! Your banana bread sound delicious!
    I also have toddler who's allergic to eggs and started my own blog to help me cope and share my finds/recipes. For the moment it is only in French (I'm in Quebec Canada), but when time permits, I will translate it all.
    I use flax seed jelly to replace eggs in my recipe. Just boil 5 tablespoons of flax seeds in 3 cups of water for 30 min, whisk often, strain to remove seeds, freeze in ice cube tray. Use 1 cube per egg to replace and voila! Check me out once in a while:
    sans-oeuf-svp.blogspot.com
    Continue the great work, allergic moms unite!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.