Thursday, May 13, 2010

Handy tip for flowers and ? about buttons

For mother's day my adoring fans {aka my husband and the boyos} gave me not one, not two, not three, but SIX bouquets of flowers.

Yes that's right. 3 dozen roses, 2 mix bouquets, and 1 dozen daisies. Though my friend is more impressed with the 5 1/2 hours he spent cleaning the inside of my car.

Anyways, my only beef I have with flowers is that they die, all that money spent and then end up dried out and yucky. So that brings me to this handy tip to pass on to you all....

Clorox bleach.

Yup. I've heard of it before but I hadn't tried it and I was a bit of a doubter, that's why I'm posting it here for you guys. I'm not trying to pass this off as my tip but I wanted to share that it ACTUALLY works.

Just add a little bit of bleach to fresh water and your flowers will last longer. That simple. {I do like simple}

Curious why it works? I thought for sure the bleach would kill the flowers but it actually helps them by keeping the water clean {ie mold free} cleaner water = more oxygen = healthier flowers.

There ya go. Now go find some bleach.

Oh and I'm going to go ahead with the recipe blog hop, I'd like to get a little link back button made, anyone know someone who can do one most ricky tick {ie fast?} and cheap? I like simple but I LOVE cheap. Please email me or leave a comment.

I'm thinking of having it good to go in 2 weeks or so. So go ahead and cook up those recipes so you can snap a pic. I think the hardest part is figuring out which recipe to post! I'll also post up a little post with the run down of it once I get a button made {if I can get one}.

Happy thursday folks, go forth, save your flowers and start cooking!

11 comments:

  1. I can whip a button up for you... I'm not a professional but I do know how to use photoshop, aka- it'd be FREE!

    Let me know:
    skinniepiggie[at]gmail[dot]com

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip!!! I am excited about the recipe exchange! I am always looking for new recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun!! you mean that you don't have time to create a stunning...perfectly balanced button on the fly?

    Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard that but of course i got flowers as well for mothers day but ran out of bleach :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. A FABULOUS Idea!...Amazing all the uses Bleach has...including killing weeds....

    Hey, I'm looking for nominees for my 2nd Annual Mommy Blogger of the Year Contest....Would you mind coming by and Nominating your Fave Mommy Blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you...you are truly blessed.

    I got a small bag of chocolate covered gummi bears. From my husband.

    The KIDS gave me better....sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I thought you might enjoy this site I just found...

    http://shitmykidsruined.com/

    Basically people post pictures of the various things that their children have destroyed :) Lots and lots of poop...

    Thanks for the tip on the bleach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, never would've thought of that for flowers!
    Lovely tip--thank you!
    Hmm. Cheap, oh yes. Love cheap.
    I know how to make a snazzy blog button, but I'm not as experienced in creating something from nothing...I take a picture of any sort and make that look good:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sweet your hubby and boys gave you flowers:-) My mom has always said the same thing about flowers - that she feels so bad when they die...I don't get them enough to form an opinion haha but I'll definitely remember the tip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man thats nuts!! I will have to try that! Who would have known? Where do you come up with all of these fantastic tips?

    Going craft shopping after work. Let me know about the glue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, that's so sweet that he got you all those flowers!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.