Saturday, May 24, 2008

Yummy yummy indeed

I doubt that there are very many people who read this blog that are in the market for some egg less recipes but I found a great one and wanted to share it. I never realized just how important an egg was to a recipe till i had to cook without them. The tricky part about egg less cooking is that its a crap shoot whether its going to rise, be nice and fluffy and not a giant sticky mess. Well these blueberry muffins are wonderful! They rose nicely, were fluffy and peeled from the muffin wrappers. Total success in my book. Everyone loved them, except dash-1 of course, he still is refusing to try them, but I like to think eventually he'll come around. And when he does he can actually eat them.

Egg less Blueberry Muffins
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour ( I've been trying to use more whole wheat flour so I use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup regular)
1 cup sugar, plus 2 tsp. more
4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
3 Tbs. melted butter
1 cup fresh blueberries

Heat oven to 350. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a medium-size bowl. Stir in milk by hand and melted butter. Fold in blueberries. Fill each cup 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

I also made some yummy ground turkey, mushrooms, and spinach enchiladas last night with whole wheat tortillas. I wasn't sure how they would turn out but they were FANTASTIC! Much less greasy then when I've made them with ground beef and the tortillas were a little crispier which I liked. Again flyboy and Dash-2 loved them but alas, no go with dash-1. He did however eat a whole wheat tortilla with melted cheese in it and hold on to your hats, apple slices dipped in ketchup. Oh well at least he got his fiber.

Thanks for all your great suggestions! Its nice to see that so many of us are fighting the good food fight. One similar dish at a time!

6 comments:

  1. Those sound yummy. I've added the ingredients to my grocery list and hopefully we'll get them made this weekend.

    Apples & ketchup? Interesting, but if it works, I'd say roll with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On this Memorial Day remember my friends who died for your freedom.

    Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer “am I worth dying for?”~

    Eleanor Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need any egg-less pancake recipes? I have a child who has marginal problems with eggs, so I have found a few recipes...but we don't use eggs much anyway. Thought I'd offer...lemme know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apples and ketchup....sounds about right. We get carrots and ketchup...or grapes and ketchup. And my older daughter was a tomato and ketchup girl (yeah, I KNOW ketchup is TECHNICALLY tomato...but sheesh!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those muffins sound good! I like to have egg-less recipes because I have a few friends with children who are allergic to eggs. It's nice to know I can share the recipes, or if I am visiting, I can bring something everyone can eat!

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the yummy recipe. i happened to come across it looking for an eggless recipe. i wanted to do some baking bt didn't have any eggs! i added 1 ripe banana and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. - h

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.