Monday, May 19, 2008

from one set of combat boots to another

I recently got some fantastic news. A dear friend of mine is coming back to our area! Her husband is retiring from the Army and accepted a position at the Academy. I am thrilled to have her back within my reaches! She is the kind of friend who despite being terribly busy with her own life is there waiting in the wings should you need her. We worked together in my pre-children life, they PCS'ed shortly after Dash-1 made his appearance. While I was here alone while flyboy was deployed and pregnant it was her and another Army friend who took me back and forth while I was in the hospital off and on and sat with me for days at a time.

My friend has a little bit of a head start on me, her husband is finishing his Army career, while mine still has a solid amount left in the Marines, her son is starting his Army career at West Point this summer, while my son will be starting nursery school in the fall, but still we seem to have a common ground. I hope that as my children get older that I can be the kind of mom that she is. She nurtures their whole being, taking them here and there to various activities and I swear never a hair out of place on her head. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen her without make up on.

There is a point to my ramble. After all isn't there always! Her husband's retirement ceremony will be in the end of June. I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do. I'd like to get her a little something to mark her move from military wife to military mom. Any ideas?

6 comments:

  1. One thing they will want in their later life, will not seem so important now, a mounting of his awards and directions. We put one together last year and it is hard after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about some type of an engraveable charm? Maybe with something along the lines of a new beginning for her...his retirement date on one side and her son's start at West Point on the other. While she's moved from Blue Star Wife to Blue Star Mom, her star is still filled with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea but it is great to have a friend like that. Ohh how about a fun weekend for the both of you alone to mark your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends like this are crucial to have in life. I am so glad you guys will be re-united! What a sweetness that will add to your life.

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like potandkettle's suggestion of an engravable charm..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great! It's always fun to be reunited with old friends - especially when they're moving close by.

    I like the idea about the charm. Or maybe a pin?

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.