Tuesday, October 5, 2010

which should I stare at for the next year?

It's that time again.  Time in the flyboy house to do some eyeglasses shopping.

{insert dramatic groan here}

I wear prescription glasses, flyboy wears glasses, our children are destined to wear glasses. And for any of you out there saying "Oh you don't know that!" Yes.  Yes I do.  My mother wears them, my father, my sister, my brother.  We are just a glasses loving family.

So much so that we were on the ophthalmologist Christmas card list.  And we would get a fruit basket. 

Anyways, in case you don't wear glasses and you're thinking "Oh accessorizing is fun! And glasses shopping is accessorizing. Glasses shopping can be fun!" My past experiences failed to have any fun in them.  I find it hard to pick out a pair {I suck at making a choice and then I feel rushed in the store}, lugging along my 3 kids hardly adds to the fun, and lest we not forget the money.

But alas flyboy broke his glasses while he was on the road and if he doesn't get a replacement pair soon he's going to be wearing his nasty big ass aviator frames that are very a la Dwight Schrute.

You can see why I'm in a hurry to get him a new pair. But of course, this has come while we are trying to tighten the budget reigns. Why does that always seem to happen?

Last time I got glasses I went to a one hour place and it was a NIGHT-mare.  Giant. Horrible.  The short version, it took 45 mins to be seen, the glasses selection was eh, and it took 4 hours to get my glasses, only to be told that something was off on them and I had to come back the next day.  And then again the day after that. And the quoted price was not the final price. 

See? Nightmare.

So this time we in the flyboy house took our quest online.  Deeeelightful.  I walked on the treadmill, dash-3 was eating a bagel, dash-2 was watching Curious George in the next room and flyboy was perusing various glasses trends next to me.

Now, I knew you could get almost anything online, side note, did you know you can get alpacka meat online, little skeivey, I know but proof everything is out there, but I had never thought about glasses online! GENIUS

So far its proving to be super simple and wicked affordable. I can report back on how it all ended up because he hasn't actually made his selection yet.

That's where you all come in.  I'd like some opinions. Here are his options, I put them forth to you all my loyal and loving readers to make help ensure that my husband does not go around looking like a tool but rather the handsome Marine that he is.
 
 





I know they all seem the same but alas they aren't and I keep going back and forth between which ones I should endorse. 

And I'd like to throw these in the running because they'd go very well with his fightsuits.  Don't you think? 

And they are reasonably priced enough I'm so tempted to get a pair and then hide all his other glasses.  But that's be kinda mean, no?

Oh and there is a coupon! I love coupons don't you? If you are in the market for glasses, check out GlassesUSA and use the code CancerAwarness {10/31/10} for 15% or mommy10 for 10%.

I'm off to go laugh some more at the thought of flyboy in red glasses, I'll post a pic of him in his new specs, granted he'll have a paper bag on his face to keep up his anonymity, but the specs will be showing thru. 

And stay tuned.....maybe they'll be red. 

11 comments:

  1. I've never shopped online for glasses. Thankfully, my prescription has been the same the last couple of years (truly a miracle as it was changing every visit) and I've continued to use the same pair. I mostly wear contacts though for convenience and because little hands are very attracted to glasses on mommy's face. I'm sure you can understand that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lieutenant just found out that after his $5000 lasik surgery, they are putting him BACK in glasses due to halos. He's mad. He thinks he looks nerdy with the glasses but I love it! As far as for Flyboy, I vote pair number #3. Well actually I'd vote anything remotely close to a buddy holly look a like but thats just me! Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the ones called "glasses2". I'm partial to the frame going the whole way around the lens. :)

    I also tried the "quick" place before, and it was a disaster for me too.

    Keep us posted on how the online experience turns out!

    One question -- do they require proof of a current prescription? I have my prescription from my old eye doc from up north, but it's "expired". Even though it's still exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for the ones labeled glasses2. I am going to have to look into shopping for glasses online. I have been using the same frames for 4 years now and just getting the lenses changed out because I do not like going out and buying frames.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ones labeled glasses2 look like the new style BCG's for the Army, my husband's been wearing his, since he needs to get an updated prescription for contacts. My current pair are silver frames, the last ones were also like glasses2. My current ones survived a car wreck & flying around in my car without breaking, chips or scratches, so I'll stick with them as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, you're right, glasses shopping is the pits. I just got new glasses and prescription sunglasses. Waited a week for the lenses, put them on and couldn't see a damn thing. Spent the next week arguing with the optometrist. They retested my eyes and eventually admitted the original script was wrong. So I got to start all over again - awesome!

    For the record, though, I like glasses3. Nice. Although #4 is a show stopper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see myself buying glasses online because I have to see them on my face first. Sometimes what looks good on the shelf doesn't look good on your face shape. I could totally see Oliver going this route, though, especially if it saved some money, haha.

    P.S. I love that you used "wicked". I had flashbacks to my New England childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The red glasses are hot...but this is your weirdo friend talking...

    I need glasses. Do you have to have an eye appointment so I can submit my script online? Fill me in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the (not red) pair on the bottom right. I can see a man in a flightsuit wearing those glasses =).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love shopping for glasses I just hate to wear them I am getting Lasik here soon. I do LOVE the selection that Target has though..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, this is off topic, but I read that you have a little one dealing with peanut allergies and I wanted to suggest Sunbutter. (I don't work for them or anything, just have a severe nut allergy too). The stuff is made in peanut/treenut free facility, tastes "like" peanut butter (though my husband disagrees, I think it makes a good pb&j) and is made from sunflower seeds. Target sells it, so does Trader Joes and Whole Foods. The Trader Joes brand is my favorite, followed by Sunbutter brand. They sell weird off brand stuff at Walmart, but, umm, it tastes terrible. Thought it might make packing lunches easier!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.