Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Clarification on My Opinion

Can I just tell you, not a week goes by that I don't get one or two comments on my post about uniform purses.

I have my comments set so that if a post is older than a week I have to moderate the comment, this way it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.  After all if someone takes the time to write out a comment I most certainly want to read it.  But whenever I log into my dashboard and I see a comment in need of moderation I just know its going to be from that post.

I had no idea when I wrote it that it would get the comments that it got.  Quite a few of you agreed with me and quite a few people would like to run me over with a giant truck that is selling said uniform purses.

Hey, to each their own.  And I'm pretty sure I've written about this before but I got, yet another comment, and when I went to reply to her comment I couldn't, there wasn't an email linked to it.  So if you're bored at my possibly repeating myself I apologize.

So anyways, Ysabel, this post is for you and everyone else who didn't seem to get what I was saying in my post.

I don't so much like uniform purses.  They just aren't my thing.

In that same vain I don't like those giant Sketcher shoes that are supposed to firm your ass or people who stand way to close to me while I'm paying in the check out line.  Those are examples of my opinion.

Just because I don't like or don't quite agree with something , like lets say, a uniform purse, doesn't mean I go ape shit wild when I see one in public.

Ysabel agrees that everyone has the right to their opinon but that if I hate the bags so much I should just look away.  Here's what I'm curious about.  What the heck do you think I do Ysabel?

Do I really come off that bitchy that you think I hurl myself across the commissary, 3 kids in tow, to rip the purse off some other wifes arm and beat her with it?

Of course I look away!

Actually, I don't really even have to look away because I don't really pay that much attention.  Trust me, I have enough going on while grocery shopping with 3 kids that I don't need to go seeking out women to critique on there purse choices.

I mean of course I think everyone should get a cute tote bag from big mama over at Blue Bird Crafting but hey, I'm kinda bias.

I wrote a post about it because I got an email about it, it was on my mind because it was in my inbox.

Newsflash: I don't give a poop what kinda purse you wear.

Shoot the other day I saw a lady with a tweedy bird purse and I didn't say anything.  And I'm pretty sure she wasn't wearing a bra either. And I didn't tackle her to the ground, or go over and preach the virtues of wearing a bra.

{Although I'm going to do that right here right now, ladies, a good bra is a must.  A very big must. Consider it a seat belt for your boobs, if you are moving it needs to be on.  Please?}

That post was just that, my opinion.  My little manifestation of what I was thinking when I read that email.  That's all.

No reason to get snippy.

And people, people, link up an email to your blogger profile so that when you leave a comment its possible to email you back.  I like emailing commentors back, just a line or two here or there, and I know I'm not alone.

But then again... that's just my opinion.


Oh and she was highly offended by my saying htat family memebers haven't earned the right to wear them.  We haven't.  My husband earned his title of United States Marine, with that came a uniform.  I certainly have earned my title of a Marine wife.

I have been mom and the dad, I have walked the floors with sick and crying kids alone, I have felt the pull of how to be in 3 places at 1 time because I'm the only parent around, I've had plans changed on a whim because work called and someone else needed him.

But I haven't earned the right to wear his uniforms like he has.

We have earned the title and the respect that we hold as military wives but it is, in my opinion, a different sort of right than that to wear the uniform.  Be it as a purse or not.

But that said Ysabel, that's my opinion and my husband's opinion and since they are his uniforms and it was his blood and sweat {Marines don't cry so there weren't any tears} that earned both the title and the uniforms, I personally wouldn't carry a purse.  But that's just my opinion and I certainly didn't mean to offend you.

19 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you yesterday. Some of the girls saw a uniform wreath on someone's door (yes, on-post) and want to replicate it. And while I'd love a girls' craft night, it gives me serious mixed emotions. Moreso because, even though I wouldn't intend it to be disrespectful, I don't want to be disrespectful to others. I don't know. I just had never heard of that before and it immediately made me think of the purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last part, "blood, sweat and Marines don't cry, so no tears...."

    Well said. I'm not a fan of the uniform purses either, ESPECIALLY when they have rank on them. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word! But I am a little different in that I don't notice a purse unless it's a uniform purse, then I give the carrier the side eye and wonder why she doesn't follow PERSEC. Letting the world know your last name and husband's rank isn't the smartest thing (especially when you get in a car with stickers letting the world know he's deployed). But that' just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My email is hacked, so you can't reply to it, However, I agree with you about the purses. I even wrote a post about it.
    http://navydoll87.blogspot.com/2010/09/military-uniform-purses-and-why-i-hate.html




    As a NAVY wife and former active duty NAVY, I am less than proud of those purses.
    I didn't go through 8 weeks of bootcamp and 4 years of service so that the uniforms I paid for with MY money could be made into a purse.
    I worked my butt off for uniform inspections to make myself look passable.
    I did the hard labor while in that uniform.

    Many men have died for our right to wear that uniform. Then it becomes a fashion accessory? No thank you.

    My opinion that I so very rightly worked my butt off to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally ok with your opinion... And I say this as a uniform purse carrier. =) My husband was 100% ok with me turning one of his old ACU jackets that was stained into a purse for myself. I really did ask him several times if it would bother him. It's his uniform and he is the one who earned the right to wear it, so I wouldn't have done it if it bothered him. He (like me) thinks it's a good alternative to throwing the dirty, stained jacket in the back of a closet to never be seen or heard from until the next PCS. I don't have his rank on it either. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just 'cause yours is different than mine doesn't mean I find it offensive. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I had no idea this was such an issue. I am still getting used to seeing the bumper stickers, bags, sweatshirts and everything announcing, "I have a loved one in the military." We spent five years overseas, where we were repeatedly told not to wear anything showing that we were military, for PERSEC and OPSEC. The soldiers weren't even supposed to go off post in their uniforms (like for lunch). So it's a change to see it everywhere. Good post and interesting responses.

    Oh, and I don't think much either way about the purses, but I wouldn't carry one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Samantha and I teared up at it dangit! Men and women HAVE died so that others had the right to wear that uniform.

    And just my opinion here, uniform purses seem a little tacky. Especially when paired with a matching hat, an "I love my ______" shirt, and camo shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha ha hahah hah, ape shit wild. I immediately got a fantastic, movie trailer-esque image of some uniform tote-carrying woman getting full-blown tackled in line at the 12 Items or Less Checkout.

    I completely agree-not only do I think it's a uniform to be earned, I'm not gonna lie- I flat out think that it's plain ugly.

    But that's just my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe this keeps popping up, the post that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are ugly. I will never own one because they are ugly. Not to mention my own husband would probably give me crap for carrying one because he would think it was ugly too.

    Good post..as always. Why can't bloggers just say what they want to say without nasty comments. Perhaps Ysabel should look away from your blog if she doesn't like what you say. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. It totally cracks me up when people tell you that everyone has a right to his/her own opinion and then proceeds to tell you how your opinion is very wrong...on your own blog none the less. And I totally agree with Melissa from New Girl...way for Ysabel to NOT practice what she preaches...just look away...

    ReplyDelete
  12. If she doesn't like your blog post, perhaps she could just look away. There's a new idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my freaking word.
    I just went back to your purse post and read it and some of the comments.
    *ticked off sigh*
    The closest I am to the military is a random friend who's in the AF. But I tel ya--some of those ladies' comments just did NOT sit right with me. Personally, I don't agree with wearing that stuff yourself --as a flipping purse?!?!!? or anything...THEY earned it. Not you....
    Just a random thought.
    :) I totally support you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for a much needed laugh today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "{Although I'm going to do that right here right now, ladies, a good bra is a must. A very big must. Consider it a seat belt for your boobs, if you are moving it needs to be on. Please?}"

    HAHAHAHA!!!! You know you get all those nay-sayers because of google search. I have one post about my old 2000 Taurus that has the highest viewed page on my blog. It's kinda sad to me lol.

    Personally, I don't mind them. I won't spend more than $20 on a purse since I change my mind ALL THE TIME so coach isn't an option. However, I am pretty sure these purses are like $60 which seems a bit outrageous to me. I think the battle dress ones are okay, but I have actually seen them made from Class As and Navy whites... That seem tacky to me.

    (Oh and my e-mail isn't linked because the one associated with my account has our last name in it... once we became an Army family I changed it. You can respond to darryen8808@yahoo.com if you'd like. :P )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kind of get the uniform purse thing from a personal stand point. I understand how it might make some people feel closer to their spouses while they're deployed. I tend to wear my husband's unserviceable PT gear, because I don't worry if I dump acid on it in the lab.
    I get where you are coming from as well. It's kind of like a couple of jerks here who tell people to call them Dr. just because they enrolled in a PhD program, even though they haven't earned that title yet.
    Either way, I am sorry that people jumped down your throat about it. I say to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry but the idea of you flying through the commissary to tackle somebody and beat them down with their uniform purse is hilarious. I can even see dash-1 shaking his head and stepping sloooowly away in that "I don't know this woman" kind of way.

    I've been trying to find regulations that say whether you can or can't make the purses in the first place. From what I've located so far, the answer is no. They don't care who you're giving it to or why (we raise money! it promotes military pride!), it's not allowed. The way I look at it is this: if my husband's not allowed to wear his NWUs with civilian clothes then it's not authorized for me, either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it funny how people come to your blog... your little e-corner of the internet world... and then get all offended at what you say? I find it slightly hilarious that she said to look away if you don't like the purses, because I feel the same way about blogs - if you don't like what you're reading, then CLOSE THE DADGUM WINDOW!! So there you have it.

    Can't we just agree to disagree anymore? Or did that go out of style with bodysuits and giganto-bangs?

    Either way - I don't intend to offend people, but if I were that concerned about it happening, I'd never be able to open my mouth of post anythign on my blog. And ask McStudly... both of those happen rather requently around our parts.

    I just don't understand why people can't get it that you're writing it because you can. You're not writing it to win a freaking Emy (or whatever award they give out to indie bloggers...). Ah well. It makes me laugh, that's for sure. Ha ha. Good times.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.