Wednesday, January 21, 2009

my hero

My husband is my hero for many reasons. He came home this weekend off from a few weeks away and jumped right back into the thick of things while I retired to my bed to wretch my guts out. Sounds charming doesn't it?

But seriously. He's a great dad, a very loving husband, he cleans like a crazy person, and then you have the whole serving his country thing.

But after last night he might as well have slayed a dragon for me.

I have no problem doing some icky things around. More then once I have stuck my hand down the toilet (prior to flushing disgustingly enough), I have caught my children's vomit in my own hands, when he is away I have killed bugs big enough to flip me the bird.

But yesterday my husband saved me.

First I should explain, we live in an old country house. Read between the lines and understand that that means when it starts to get cold the mice find their way in. One in particular made himself right at home and drove me nuts. Honestly had he never surfaced from the basement I probably would have left him alone.

But he had to push it. He had to come into my pantry.

Flyboy unleashed his furry. He put some bait blocks around the basement (just so no one calls CPS, its a very scary basement, I only go down there to do laundry, the kids never go, there was no harm they would eat the bait blocks). Well they did the job.

Of course the mouse got the last laugh. He managed to make it up to where I store all my plastic shopping bags (note to self I should probably not store bags like that anymore apparently mice like to burrow in them) and well, lets say he arrived at the pearly gates in the company of a target bag or two.

And then I noticed a smell. And I had a sneaking suspicion what it was. And I wasn't going in after it. At all.

Seriously, THANK GOD I married a man who when he walked thru the door from work and was greeted with, "Oh by the way I think there is a dead mouse to be found." He didn't even flinch. He just went right in and went to work.

I stayed upstairs during all of this. I couldn't even stay down there for moral support. I heard him coughing and gagging and well given my stomach over the past week I thought my moral support would just have to be on loan from the upper level of the house.

I really can't sing the praises of this man enough right now. If he wasn't here I would have had to tape off the kitchen and moved, because, no way was I going to get a first hand look at a decomposing mouse. But flyboy, just stepped up and did the dirty work.

Someone is getting a very, very, big valentine's day gift.

17 comments:

  1. AW! What a great husband!

    I know that smell and it's something I never want to smell again.

    Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Flyboy! Having dealt with overly familiar mice before, I can appreciate how wonderful it must have felt to say: "Go get him."

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a child, my parents did the same thing to kill a mouse. Apparently the mouse managed to make it into my pile of toys before it died. I know this because I was looking for a stuffed mouse that I had, and wound up with a very real, very dead mouse in my hand. I was scarred for life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. blechhh i don't think i could do dead mice either... YUCK. that seriously sounds awful, and i don't even have a stomach bug. :) :)

    please God let our new house not have any mice!!!!

    i hope you start to feel a little better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Flyboy! He is worth his weight in gold for getting that mouse. And bonus points for him for doing it without you having to ask first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am gagging just thinking about it!!! Yay for Flyboy saving the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uhhh rodents are like my biggest fear in life. They give me the creeps just thinking about them. I can't even walk by their cages in the pet store. And I have no problems when the neighbors cat comes walking up to me with a dead mouse in its mouth.

    So AMEN for you even dealing with a mouse in the house. I would have been in a hotel for the week LOL. And props to your hubbie for being such an amazing guy and now we can add mouse destroyer/disposer to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. there is NOTHING like dead mouse... nothing.

    LAW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ewwwwwww!!!!!!

    Glad he was home to save the day.

    I would have moved at the sight of a mouse, so kudos to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great hubby! I don't think I would have been able to do that either. I moved into a little studio apartment this year and I'm terrified that something like that will happen. Thankfully I have cats who will (hopefully) keep that from happening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know the smell and it ain't a good one! What a great husband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is a hero. I would have moved too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could loan you toby for a little bit next time Flyboy is gone. After he got over the shock of the Dash brothers, he'd be a pretty good mouser for you. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you need a mouser - the local shelters are jammed with cats who LOVE meeses. Mine used to bring them to me in bed... and toss them around. I asked the vet why he did that - he said the cat is trying to teach me how to do it (after all, I can't be THAT dumb...according to the cat that is)He misses it, I think - the new apartment has no meeses at all.

    LAW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eww... Can't stand mice, dead or alive. (shuddering now, thank you)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We stayed in a hotel for over 3 weeks waiting to close on our house. One night, it was cold out and I heard some noises in the plastic garbage bag in the little bitty can they give you in the hotel rooms. Woke me out of an Advil p.m. induced sleep...that bad. So I get up, trying to figure it out (we'd had it once before, but it was my son's feet, kicking a McD's toy bag on the nightstand by his bed)...but it wasn't coming from the kids' bed. I went closer to the sound, and heard it in the can. I turned on the light, right above the can, and this big-eared mouse looked up at me with his twitchy nose. I woke my hubby up and all he said was, "put the can outside the door (the doors led to outside, not a hallway). Hindsight, I should have TIED the bag shut to suffocate the bugger...but I didn't, and in the a.m. he was gone. I did notice the next room over had their can out too, and it wasn't out when I stuck my can out. Guess mr. mousey went there after we froze him out!

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.