Monday, September 14, 2009

It's back to normal

Life is going back to normal around here.

I'm back into pants that actually have a button and a zipper on them and are completely absent of any elastic, I only have a couple pounds to go till I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight (although I should go lower, sigh), and it would seem that we are settling into some sort of rhythm and routine.

Even if that routine is just survival.

And on today life really goes back to normal, back to the military normal of flying solo. Flyboy went back to work after baby leave this weekend (yes working on a weekend doesn't that suck) but of course, it isn't just going back to work, he's going back to work flyboy style, gone for five days, home for two, gone for a couple weeks.


Like I said, life is going back to normal. And I just want to cry.


I'm sure some of it is hormonal, having a baby isn't just physical work, your poor psyche goes thru the ringer too, but its more then that. This is the longest he's been home this year, about five or six weeks. And its been great. He's here to play with the boys, help with the discipline, back me up so I don't cave.... as much... and ladies... HE'S POTTY TRAINING DASH-2! It's also meant having someone to laugh with and hang out with, to sit in the yard and eat ice cream cones as a whole family, enjoy the quiet together once the kids are asleep.

It's been nice. Really nice.

And it's made me realize how hard this lifestyle can be sometimes. How much we just go thru the motions of the comings and goings, how it becomes our own kind of normal, of course its a kinda normal that is shared with so many other military families.

Last night was rough. The boys have obviously also gotten used to having daddy around, bedtime was a bitch, dash-1 was crying in his room about daddy leaving again. It wore on flyboy who was trying to get his things together to go into the field. You could tell he was pissed at himself when he shouldn't be and as a mom my heart was also breaking.

It's not huge long chunks of time, but obviously our kids are getting to be aware enough of the pattern that's going back into effect, daddy is here and then gone, repeat, repeat, repeat. It's tough.

I always joke that I don't know what life will be like when flyboy isn't flying anymore, when we live together like a "normal" family, when five or six weeks together at a time isn't some huge monumental time together. I worry that he'll drive me crazy and vice versa. Well ya know what, I think we'll like it.

A lot.

19 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job holding the fort down! I was "lucky enough" to have my hubby left behind on this particular trip his squadron is taking right now....hmmm....it has turned into chaos! Since he's "here" the kids are always asking for him, unfortunately he is working 15-17 hour days and there is no rhyme or reason to the hours he stops in to get some sleep...I think it would be easier on the kids if he had left on the ship this month, lol! Hang in there, we are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that you're already back into regular pants. Lol. Lucky biatch. :)
    Sorry to hear that things are going back to "normal". Sometimes normal sucks. :-/ But you do a wonderful job, so I know all will be okay soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you....it's so tough...i know I feel robbed sometimes...but halelujah woman for already almost back to pre-prego weight...I'm 18 months in and still not there yet....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do such an amazing job. I can't imagine life with that sporadic of a schedule.

    Or fitting into prepregnancy clothes just a couple weeks after pregnancy. Can I call you a punk? Cuz you are. That's not just the jealousy talking. I lost 20 pounds while pregnant and wasn't wearing prepregnancy clothes a couple weeks after birth! The Mrs Elastic Tummy. I guess you could say you're holding it ALL together.

    I assume he won't be flying like this forever? And it will be wonderful for you to drive him crazy every day when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way! I'm slightly worried that after 10 years of him being gone a lot and me being "single" and "single mom" (in the future), he'll drive me up the wall!

    But I love him and can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww. I'm sorry to hear that you're going back to "normal", but glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time being together.
    and I'm even commenting about the back to pre-pregnancy weight, because I like you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how you do it, but I can tell you now that you are one of the strongest women I've ever known! (If following your blog even qualifies as "knowing" someone, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand, and I just have one... James Bond is just now catching on to the fact that our 18 month old gets it. Our Wee One will stay up WAY past his bed time just to see Dadda. Like you said though, you find a sense of normalcy in it all, and you will get back into your routine. Plus, it makes your times together that much more special.

    Keeping hanging tough! You are one kick ass Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry! I was really glad my husband didn't take a job that would take him away that often. But thank YOU for making that sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hubby is TDY a lot...just flew out this morning as a matter of fact. He was chatting with the kids about where he was going. He hasn't seen them in a week already....and they said "cool Dad"...and went back to eating breakfast and chatting about bugs. Kind of sad. Kind of breaks Dad's heart a little. I am just used to it I guess...and the kids and I just get on with it. WE do make a big deal of when he comes home though. Every time. Hugs to you...and you at least have those button up pants and you arent stuck in elastic land. Seriously...naps were a huge help to me during times of no hubby and lots of babies, diapers, and little kiddo talk around. There I go talking about naps again. oops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me sad, and happy all at the same time. I've seen my sister-in-law have to go through things alone and it's hard to admit how hard it can be.

    To end on a funny note I'll give you this little snippet -- right after matt and I got married, we didn't really have a honeymoon because he had to go to Ranger School and basically be incommunicado and away from me for awhile. I was sad about it, and my mother-in-law reminded me "When you two are sixty and have been married for decades, you will WISH that you could send him to ranger school and get away from him!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad things are getting back to somewhat a normal pace and such. Aw, I feel so bad about your boy crying. Hopefully it'll get easier. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, I used your honest mommy button today on my blog. It was fun! I felt like I was participating in the big leagues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What the heck...you can't seriously almost be at your pre-pregnancy weight! That's it, I'm sending you a bowling team.

    I still have 20 lbs to go...grrr...

    I'm sure you will do wonderfully once he's gone. My hubby didn't get any baby leave since he's in language school. But it's good he didn't because he'd just drive me crazy saying there's nothing to do around here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Almost back to your normal pants! Thats totally awesome! I hope my body bounces back to its pre-baby size when I have kids!
    I'm sorry your going through that! It must be tough. I can't imagine what it's like. And I think it totally sucks when my honey has a business travel! Usually only a couple times a year!
    Hang in there, it will get better and when you are living the "normal" home life, you'll absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry he had to leave again. Sometimes i think the shorter trips are worse. Mikes job is nothing like flyboys he travels yes but not as often as yours and i couldnt imagine him leave so soon after the baby and in the midde of potty trainging (arent there some military rules about leaving during potty training-there should be)I wish i was closer to help out :( I'll be up in a few weeks though so hopefully we can get together. The girls miss their friends and miss mine to

    ReplyDelete
  17. You done went and made me start tearing up, you turd... thanks for that!

    But really - as hard as it is, you do such a grat job with the boys, and I'm sure that still rings true today. Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It always kind of bothers me when other military wives talk about how they wish he'd just deploy already. I would be lying if I didn't want the occasional night alone, but I really can't wait to have him home for real. Besides, when he's home all the time, if I ever do get tired of him, that's when I can take a trip instead of him! Hawaii sure sounds nice...

    ReplyDelete
  19. That has really got to be hard. I mean, a year long deployment sucks...but one year and then its over. I just couldn't imagine here, then gone, here, then gone...you are one strong baby mama :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.