Sunday, November 6, 2011

Veteran's Day nudge

Everyone is all excited for 11-11-11.

I'm not sure why. It's 3 of the same number, get over it people.

What we should be remembering is that 11-11 is Veteran's Day.

Veterans Day is near and dear to my heart and not just because I get to share my bed with one every now and again, but because it is important to make sure our little ones graspjust how important service to our country is.  Veteran's Day gives us the chance to stop, reflect, and say thank you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the world has hit their douchebag quota and darn if I'm going to raise 3 more to add to the lot. That being said, do I think folks who don't take a minute to appreciate service members are douche bags?

Yes, yes I do.

I want to raise my kids to understand, to really understand, the sacrifice and commitment it takes to step up and serve our country.

So on the first day of school, way back in Sept., I did what any neurotic prek mom does, I asked Dash2's teacher if I could come in to do something for Veteran's Day with the kids.  2 months in advance.  Hey, I wanted to beat the rush, then again we are the only military at the school so I figured I was pretty safe claiming the day early.


Then I got an email, that was just perfect!

The "Art for Wounded Warriors" run by the National Museum for the Marine Corps {which I visited with my lovely cousin and was a great museum, however it was lacking a replica of a c-130 but it did have an actual Tun Tavern} is looking for young artist to submit their artwork to decorate recovery facilities and lift the spirits of wounded Marines, with the help of the Wounded Warrior Regiment is going to help distribute artwork to hospitals coast to coast.

Get your kids involved! Get their classes involved! Get your church or community organizations involved!

Get involved people!

Dash-2's class are going to be making patriotic pictures, stars, flags, lots of red, white, and blue paint, and OF COURSE GLITTER!

Lots. of. Glitter.

It doesn't have to be a Picasso or a Rembrandt, simply something that says Thank you and we remember you for your service.

This is the part where I'm here to nudge you guys to do the same thing....

Here are the details if you want to get involved:
Children who wish to participate should create a picture and write a supportive message on an 8 ½” x 11” piece of paper.

Artists should also write their name, hometown and grade level on the back of their pictures. 

The Museum will accept drawings, paintings or colorings from children of all ages and abilities.

All works of art must be submitted in a flat, rigid envelope postmarked by December 10, 2011. Artwork becomes the property of the Museum and cannot be returned.

Mail all submissions to:
The National Museum of the Marine Corps
Attn: Teacher- in- Residence
18900 Jefferson Davis Highway
Triangle, VA 22172-1938

If you already have something planned for Veteran's Day, please, leave a comment and share your idea!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. Madeline was so excited it was veterans day yesterday. She was drawing pictures of flags and starts and a girl all in red white and blue. While we were at Applebees getting mikes free dinner (we were out otherwise we wouldnt have gone) she was coloring everything red white and blue. I'm going to see if Madeline wants to participate in that coloring contest.

    Let me know if you are going to be around thanksgiving weekend My kids are dying to see the boys so maybe we can meet up for lunch

    ReplyDelete

I'm not going to lie... I live for comments. Nice ones that is.